Virtual Server

joker5893

Hey guys, i have a real serious question here. Unfortunately i have been assigned at work to create a new server but first i have to take the old server load it up into virtual server and then make the swap. When i try to load the ghost image onto the virtual server i am only getting about 35 MB's/min. This is calling for a 10 hour install. I need to speed up the process. Ne ideas? Oh btw i'm going across the network and also i've tried going from PC to PC but still i get slow speeds.

Hey guys, i have a real serious question here. Unfortunately i have been assigned at work to create a new server but first i have to take the old server load it up into virtual server and then make the swap. When i try to load the ghost image onto the virtual server i am only getting about 35 MB's/min. This is calling for a 10 hour install. I need to speed up the process. Ne ideas? Oh btw i'm going across the network and also i've tried going from PC to PC but still i get slow speeds.

I was going to say PC to PC, but if that is just as slow, maybe something on the network configuration is not setup properly, or you have a really slow hard drive?

Are you connected cable to cable or ethernet? And if ethernet, is it 10/100 or 10/100/1000(Gigabit adapter)

Hard drives are slow.I'm amazed your getting that speed. Consumer grade (7400 RPM) HD to HD copying is around 13MB/s when only reliying on the hard drives with no file system caching.

What he said.

My godly new(less then one year old) computer's HDD clocks at about 56MB/s synchronous so unless your server is state of the art or is using RAID strips you're not going to get much faster.

I think everyone misunderstood me. I'm getting 35 MB's per minute so that means that i'm getting little less than 1 MB per sec. Right now i'm trying to go from USB 2.0 to Server so lets see if i can't get that going. After that plan B, PC to PC with a crossover using Gigabit.

I think everyone misunderstood me. I'm getting 35 MB's per minute so that means that i'm getting little less than 1 MB per sec. Right now i'm trying to go from USB 2.0 to Server so lets see if i can't get that going. After that plan B, PC to PC with a crossover using Gigabit.

Doh! Missed the "per minute" thing. Haven't seen anyone scale transfer speed to the minute before.

I'm just going to assume that your network and server is not the point where it needs a major hardware upgrade and just ask about the software you're using.

What transport protocol are you using and what software are you using for that protocol. Version may be helpful too.