i hate my isp :( (how it went from 4MB to 4 KB)

DLSS

gah i'm basically stuck in a 2 year contract ...

and this last week my connection has been slowly creeping to a halt :(

it basically went from a max 4MiB connection, to at this moment a 4,3 KiBĀ  MAX 17,7 KiB connection :,(

i guess i'm starting to understand how dailup people feel ....

*cries*

(ps i'm on a broadband adsl connection ...contract still a year to go....)

Im with BT at the Moment. We used to get 8MBit/s (luckily the exchange is really close to us). We actually got 4kbit/s at one point because of sooooo much data being used. I blame 4oD, Virgin Media, Home Hubs etc. All the Things that send lots of data down the old copper cables. If we just upgraded to fibre optic, but ohhh no, BT says there wont be a market for a 100MBit/s connection.

Im with BT at the Moment. We used to get 8MBit/s (luckily the exchange is really close to us). We actually got 4kbit/s at one point because of sooooo much data being used. I blame 4oD, Virgin Media, Home Hubs etc. All the Things that send lots of data down the old copper cables. If we just upgraded to fibre optic, but ohhh no, BT says there wont be a market for a 100MBit/s connection.

Imagine, if you will, the price of such a line. How much does your 8 MBit line cost? Multiply that by 12.5 and tell me you'd happily pay that _every_ _month_ for such a connection?

What would happen is that some smart prick will come along, put up a wireless hub or whatever and lets his neighbors leech off his connection for a small fee (and I'm by no means trying to give people any ideas... heh heh heh). Do you have any idea to what extent this is _already_ happening?

Imagine, if you will, the price of such a line. How much does your 8 MBit line cost? Multiply that by 12.5 and tell me you'd happily pay that _every_ _month_ for such a connection?

What would happen is that some smart prick will come along, put up a wireless hub or whatever and lets his neighbors leech off his connection for a small fee (and I'm by no means trying to give people any ideas... heh heh heh). Do you have any idea to what extent this is _already_ happening?

~Ā£312.38 (~$620 USD) per month by that logic for an assymetric 100Mb line with unlimited download.

Is this speed slowing becasue your contract is up and your not renewing? I never ehard of an ISP slowing speeds becasue your contract was near its end. Is there not somethign else going on in your network that could be causing the problem, like a virus on your system?

I pay under $50.00(US) for cable TV and Internet(Combined). My speeds are damn fast and only gotten faster recently by upgrading to a new modem. Prior to the new modem, my speeds were starting to nose dive and went from2500kbps to about 1200 kbps. I blame it on the old modem, which never got more than 400k downloads and about 44k upload.

Look at my forum sig. You can see what speeds I am getting now, just from upgrading the equipment(and a few system tweaks).

Maybe you should look into getting a new modem and ask to be assigned a new IP Address(which will probably happen when you add any new modem anyway since the mac address for the modem will change, most likely your gateway and IP address you get will change as well).

Is this speed slowing becasue your contract is up and your not renewing? I never ehard of an ISP slowing speeds becasue your contract was near its end. Is there not somethign else going on in your network that could be causing the problem, like a virus on your system?

I pay under $50.00(US) for cable TV and Internet(Combined). My speeds are damn fast and only gotten faster recently by upgrading to a new modem. Prior to the new modem, my speeds were starting to nose dive and went from2500kbps to about 1200 kbps. I blame it on the old modem, which never got more than 400k downloads and about 44k upload.

Look at my forum sig. You can see what speeds I am getting now, just from upgrading the equipment(and a few system tweaks).

Maybe you should look into getting a new modem and ask to be assigned a new IP Address(which will probably happen when you add any new modem anyway since the mac address for the modem will change, most likely your gateway and IP address you get will change as well).

no, (bad phrasing on my part i guess ...)

the contract still has at least 1 year to go ...

but the last week it's continually been decreasing, up until what it is now ...

and changing ip's didnt work (changed about 15 times by now ...)

on the upside , i found a brand spanking new dlink router in the neigborhoud, completely unprotected, and default pass ...

dlinkkn9.jpg

wich does have a decent connection :p

here in the UK the internet sucks

the best speed service is Virgin Media

they can go up to 20mb broadband

u get a free wired cable box but u can get for a small fee a netgear wireless acsess poing (only for 1 computer - suck)

but the service sucks

the up time is rubbish

and its just shit

the rest of the providers suck more like BT and orange....