TelNet Server: Looking To Start A Public Database

hsncorrosion

I want to start a fully open database, I would like to run it via telnet.

I want it to require signup and login and then they can either read or input data into the system.

How can I do this? Can I use SQL with this? Will it cost anything? and what are the security risks?

Sort of like an old BBS?

I'm sorry to tell you this but databases need formats and since you don't seem to know what you want to put into the database you don't know the format of the tables you want to have in the database.

Even if you had a format in mind telnet is probably not the best way to do it. Databases are most use full when access to them can be automated, and telnet sucks at automation. XML RPC over HTTP would be better for automation. Danbooru/Sagubooru is set up as an image board, and has an open API that allows automated access to the images and the tags and comments associated with them.

If you really wanted to be open ended you could just setup an FTP server with anonymous read and write access.

If you really wanted to be open ended you could just setup an FTP server with anonymous read and write access.

Which, I might add, is a stunningly bad idea to do in practice. Particularly the write access bit.

Which, I might add, is a stunningly bad idea to do in practice. Particularly the write access bit.

QFE

I was hosting a anon write ftp server on the default ports for an ARG I was hosting....  with in hours I found....something not good, DON'T DO IT, needless to say I had to do a quick script rewrite to supply passwords

Wow, imagine your databases being open like wikipedia...

[me=moonlit]screams and wakes himself up from the horrible nightmare[/me]

I only thought of using telnet because I for some reason like to telnet, I like the command prompt. so Im just trying to think of a reason to use it more often.

SSH gives me a command prompt...