Hacker Space In South Jersey

lordwu

Hi everyone, I'm posting around looking for people in the South Jersey area interested in starting a hacker space.  The first meeting is Thursday August 23rd 9:00 pm at the brooklawn diner.  if you're interested reply here or email jesuswudchrist@gmail. com

All updated info will be kept at hxxp: sjhs. wudfirstindustries. com.  for now

I took a look at that website of his. The 'Rules for a perfect society' are... um... interesting.  :?

The problem is that when people come up with there ideas for a perfect society, they usually end up being totalitarian to an extreme. Case and point, a UK police chief today came up with the idea of banning all drinking in public to counter drunk youths forming gangs. So, by his idea of a perfect society, my girlfriend and I having a bottle of wine with a picnic in the park is just as much of a crime as a gang of 12 year olds drinking cider until they can't see. If these kids are causing a problem, why not arrest them for breach of the police, the crimes they commit and then refer them to social services. Why are these schemes intent on treating people as the lowest common denominator?

Wow, that's some stretch that police chief's reasoning is making. Let's see.

Problem = drunken youth causing havoc in groups.

Cause =  youth becoming drunk, as that is why they form groups. (HAHAHA!)

Solution = ban drinking outside. :?

Since of course no youth would ever be able to drink inside the home, as they are all being raised by competent parents who are, at any given time, completely aware of where their children are, and what they are doing.

Oh, and by the way, wasn't it illegal to consume alcohol outside, unless you are within, like, pissing distance of a pub?

Wow, that's some stretch that police chief's reasoning is making. Let's see.

Problem = drunken youth causing havoc in groups.

Cause =  youth becoming drunk, as that is why they form groups. (HAHAHA!)

Solution = ban drinking outside. :?

Since of course no youth would ever be able to drink inside the home, as they are all being raised by competent parents who are, at any given time, completely aware of where their children are, and what they are doing.

Oh, and by the way, wasn't it illegal to consume alcohol outside, unless you are within, like, pissing distance of a pub?

I guess they will have to ban ALL drinking now...Indoors or out.

The problem is that when people come up with there ideas for a perfect society, they usually end up being totalitarian to an extreme.

Yeah its hard to avoid. The problem I keep running into is how do you keep power out of the governments hands without forcing people to be aware. Any suggestions would be appreciated, however thats not with this topic is about.

I know im an outsider and basically spammed your board, but I thought there might be some people on here interested in starting a hacker space. I hope you didn't just make them too embarrassed to show up. Then again there might not be anyone from jersey around here. 

The problem is that when people come up with there ideas for a perfect society, they usually end up being totalitarian to an extreme.

Yeah its hard to avoid. The problem I keep running into is how do you keep power out of the governments hands without forcing people to be aware. Any suggestions would be appreciated, however thats not with this topic is about.

I know im an outsider and basically spammed your board, but I thought there might be some people on here interested in starting a hacker space. I hope you didn't just make them too embarrassed to show up. Then again there might not be anyone from jersey around here.   

Williamstown, NJ :)

The problem I keep running into is how do you keep power out of the governments hands without forcing people to be aware.

Emphasis in the wrong area. People need to become aware. Don't accept the fact that most people are stunningly lazy or uninterested, and will only be up in arms when their favorite mind numbingly stupid quiz show gets pulled from the air. Your government represents you. If you don't feel like they are representing you properly, vote for someone else. If there's nobody worth voting for, get off your lazy ass and run yourself.

I never understood why there are really only 2 parties in the US, with the Greens (or whatever they're called) trying hard to hold on to their 2% share or something. More parties means more choice for the electorate, which should result in better representation of that electorate. Or am I missing something crucial here?

Theoretically the best system would be a benign dictator, i.e a genuinely nice person, rules exceptionally well and fairly, but just happens to have canceled the elections. Only problem is human fallibility, people and systems have a tendency to try and shape the world around there way of dealing with it, rather than adapting to an ever changing world.

The main problem is the lack of resources. We do not have the resources on this planet to truly give everyone an amazing life. People suggest that we should redistribute resources so that everyone can survive. This ignores the fact that the western culture, and lifestyle has produced the most advanced technology and the best living conditions the human species has ever seen. Until we have the technology to provide unlimited resources, there will always be inequality and starving people, but it will be a person from a culture that is using more than its fair share of global resources who finally solves world hunger.

So no, capping wages won't solve world hunger, it will just stifle growth. Why hire more workers to make more TV sets if you can only sell 100000 before the government starts taxing at 100%? Your basically trying to force people to be nice by making them all suffer. If you want to change how a culture acts, you need to change the way it thinks and talks (see: Sapir-Whorf). And the best way to do this would be to indoctrinate children with the ideal of altruism and hard work. This would only be possible in a society that is far more repressed than ours is now, (or maybe about the same, but in a different way), which brings in to question the idea that the relative freedoms of western society (and lack of religious oppression) have been a major influence of its dominance over the rest the planet.

You have to decide what you want, everyone to live in kinda ok-ish conditions forever, never really doing anything more than surviving from day to day. Or a select few to live in technological luxury as a evolutionary gamble that one day we might all live in space ships at the grand old age of 1000. We tend to focus on the suffering of the few when we should be focusing on how to make our entire species live better lives than we do now.

The problem I keep running into is how do you keep power out of the governments hands without forcing people to be aware.

Emphasis in the wrong area. People need to become aware. Don't accept the fact that most people are stunningly lazy or uninterested, and will only be up in arms when their favorite mind numbingly stupid quiz show gets pulled from the air. Your government represents you. If you don't feel like they are representing you properly, vote for someone else. If there's nobody worth voting for, get off your lazy ass and run yourself.

I never understood why there are really only 2 parties in the US, with the Greens (or whatever they're called) trying hard to hold on to their 2% share or something. More parties means more choice for the electorate, which should result in better representation of that electorate. Or am I missing something crucial here?

I've said it before, but wet need a Pirate party like they have in Finland. ;)