Internet connections?!??

jht129

here is a fruitful question:

Alright so i have a laptop that connects wired/wireless. When I am on wireless, I can use Firefox for U3, Limewire pro, and Gaim (portable AIM). When I am on a wired connections, I cannot use either and can only use ie, not limewire, ffox, or gaim. Can anyone please help? Thank you.

It could be that maybe like Sparta said it could be that your firewall is blocking those programs from connecting via that connection. If I were you I would be smart while using limewire. Most of the people who have limewire and aren't paranoid about security get an assload of viruses and trojans. It could be that you have a trojan and that it prohibiting those programs from using your LAN line connection for some reason. Also try running wireshark to see what is running through your NIC just for shit and giggles. Try making sure those programs don't have setting that require that traffic go through a certain IP address. IE could have it set to just detect the network settings. Firefox and the other stuff may have it set that it has to go through the IP address issued to your wireless card by your router.

By the way what kind of router are you using?

No, but you can forward traffic to/through a specific address in most good internet browsers. Also most P2P clients will let you do the same.

Thisiam makes a good point. It could be that you are connecting to someone else's AP and that your router/AP is setup wrong.

Thanks for all the quick replies:

@ Sparda: I just uninstalled my firewall today.

@ Blunderboy: I didn't download anything while I didn't have antivirus running, so it can't be a trojan because my virus scanner didnt pick up anything. I don't think the problem is complicated enough to use wireshark. FFox has it set to detect environment settings, same with limewire and gaim.

@ VaKo: Browse via what IP?

@ Sparda: What error, I never mentioned any error. It just says page couldnt be loaded or something similar.

@ thisiam: when wireless, im going through a router, which is a different ap, same when I connect directly to modem

@ Blunderboy: I am connecting through public AP, and when I do use my own wired connection, things go wrong.

Any site would be good. Make sure your router is set up correctly (if in doubt, do a factory reset), that your not using static IP addresses on either of the connections, then do the following with both connections:

start -> run -> "cmd"

ping google.com

ping 72.14.207.99 (or another google IP, use nslookup to get a list of there IP's)

ipconfig /all

Then post the results here. If you can't copy&paste it, use ">> filename.txt" after each command to dump the output to a text file.

If you are using Norton your AV might not detect a trojan or virus, but it doesn't sound like that anymore. Since you said that you use a public AP and it is your router that is Fing up your stuff I would check to see if your router settings are set properly. If all the quick stuff seems to fail I would first try turning all of the security settings off on the router and turn them on little by little and you may weed out the problem. I have done this once when I needed to get a WLAN router up quickly and something was blocking a program from accessing a accessing the internet. I found it quickly thankfully and it was just a security setting that was set to high that didn't allow something through. It was quite a while and I can't remember the specifics but I found the security issue and fixed it. (It was a fairly good sized router.)

I might be going in the wrong direction with this but I hope it helps.

@ Sparda: I am going to have to check this next time I connect to my wired.

@ VaKo : It is not my router, it is a public one. Sorry. Your idea in cmd sounds good, I'll see if I can get that to work. I am supposed to use that method when I am on my wired right?

@ Blunderboy: I was using AVG 7.5 Pro until I uninstalled it. I do not have a router. I use a public AP, correct, but when I connect at home, I use this method, starting from the wall connection>comcast modem>linksys voip box (splits connection from modem to connection to computer and connection to phone.) I connect the laptop to the voip box. Sorry if that was a little confusing.

If your wired router doesn't work, reset it and go threw the manual again. And yes, run those commands anyway, on both connections. Until we get more data I might as well tell you its leprechauns in the wires.

@ thisiam: different router meaning what? i only have a wired one. I sometimes use my neighbors wireless when mine fails.

@ VaKo: I will run the commands. Lol nice one, leprechauns in the wires.

I did what VaKo told me to, here are the results:

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=238
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=238
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=238
Reply from 64.233.187.99:] bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=238
Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 52ms

--

Pinging 72.14.207.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=237
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=237
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=237
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=237
Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 60ms

--

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xc-w1
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : solutionip.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : solutionip.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.106
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.88.105.173
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:04:13 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:09:13 PM

Thanks thisiam

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=239
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 41ms

--

Pinging 72.14.207.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=238
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=238
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=238
Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=238
Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 54ms

--

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xc-s3
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.mi.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.mi.comcast.net.
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : XX.XX.XX.XXX
                                            XX.XX.XX.XXX
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 10, 2007 7:26:03 AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:26:03 AM

Why does one come up solutionip.com and the other comcast?

One of them is your ISP and the other is what? Which is you isp, solutionip.com or comcast?

Maybe your DNS servers for the wired are setup wrong and your trying to connect through a dead gateway? See your ISP's site for the derfault dns server and gateway and try to enter them manually in the router. Do you have Internet Explorer setup for a proxy  connection while the others are not?

Why does one come up solutionip.com and the other comcast?

One of them is your ISP and the other is what? Which is you isp, solutionip.com or comcast?

2 Different locations, one is a hosptial, the other is a home connection. The home connection is the janky one.

Maybe your DNS servers for the wired are setup wrong and your trying to connect through a dead gateway? See your ISP's site for the derfault dns server and gateway and try to enter them manually in the router. Do you have Internet Explorer setup for a proxy  connection while the others are not?

DNS is fine, as he can ping google by its domain name.

I really don't know why you have edited out things like your mac address and dns servers though, totally pointless as the only thing you want to keep quiet is your public IP. Is this laptop your own or one that has been assigned to you? If its the latter, I'm guessing its been setup to only work via the hospital connection, and you should talk to there IT people. If its your own, maybe crank out wireshark and see what its trying to do when you use your web browser.