hard drive wont work after removing vista ultimate

1337n00b

I was using Vista Ultimate with two hard drives. An 80gb WD and a 160 gb WD. I used the 80gb to install programs and the 160gb for all my stuff, pictures, videos and stuff like that. I backed up all of my stuff on from the 160gb and deleted the volume using Vista's built in disk management. I decided to run daris boot and nuke (dban) on both of the drives; my 80gb still works (I installed Fedora 6 on it) but my 160gb doesn't work. Actually, computer runs 10x slower when I have the 160gb hd hooked up (sata), so I just disconnected it from the mobo and my computer works great. I still want to use my 160gb hard drive, but it won't work at all and it slows the system down horrible.

Can someone offer an idea or help, this really sucks.

Hook it up by itself and boot a live cd and se eif you can mount the disk or see the files on it. May need to just wipe it out and reformat it. Also, check the cables.

Hook it up by itself and boot a live cd and se eif you can mount the disk or see the files on it. May need to just wipe it out and reformat it. Also, check the cables.

It won't actually be mountable because it doesn't have a partition table any more.

Try fdisk and make fs.

Go to a seagate website and download the seatools ISO and burn it to a disk. Then try to see if your disk actually has a mechanical issue or if it is something else. Seatools I think is one of the best HDD diagnostic tool. It could be that the HDD controller is bad and it is causing a problem. Good luck

well, i found out what happened. nothing was wrong with the drive after all. but all is fixed. it had something to do with the latest os not liking the older the os.

i fixed it by formatting the drive using a win 2k cd and then installed xp corp over it.