OMG! What Have I Been Missing? Linux Linux Linux! Screw Vista!

hsncorrosion

I just saw these three videos on you tube and I think im ready to switch!

Matrix Themed Ubuntu Beryl

WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

The Truth about the Vista logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GyGv-RqFM&NR=1

OMG! I've been missing this!??!

Wow

One question though before I even attempt to switch

I am planning on running this on a Acer Aspire 5050 laptop

I have run plak (distro of linux) on a virtual cd and was unable to use my touch pad (pointing device)

how can I be sure this does not happen when I install it?

I have run plak (distro of linux) on a virtual cd and was unable to use my touch pad (pointing device)

Learn command line.  :-D

Most real linux distros (not PHLAK which I think you meant) have enough driver support for things like that, however. And also, speaking for the community, don't come crying to us when you accidentally...

• [li]Screw up your partitions[/li]

[li]Delete your entire operating system[/li]

[li]Fail at installing a theme in Beryl[/li]

Linux? Meh... its fake unix for people who hate windows. Get your BSD on! As for Beryl/Compiz-Fusion, i find that the dev's tended to focus on what was possible rather than what make a usable interface. So while it looks damn cool on youtube, in practice its kinda janky  in places.

Learn command line.  :-D

Most real linux distros (not PHLAK which I think you meant) have enough driver support for things like that, however. And also, speaking for the community, don't come crying to us when you accidentally...

• [li]Screw up your partitions[/li]

[li]Delete your entire operating system[/li]

[li]Fail at installing a theme in Beryl[/li]

Yeah phlak, and dont worry I will just dual boot it (i might run a virtual machine to try it out first)

I just saw these three videos on you tube and I think im ready to switch!

Matrix Themed Ubuntu Beryl

WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

The Truth about the Vista logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GyGv-RqFM&NR=1

OMG! I've been missing this!??!

Wow

One question though before I even attempt to switch

I am planning on running this on a Acer Aspire 5050 laptop

I think 'duh!!!' sums it up nicely. 

you'll come crying back to Vista once you realise you can't play your game.

I hate to burst your bubble but it will probably not run on your acer. I have an acire aspire and the video card in it is absolute shit. Unless you have a built in Nvidia card, and know how to install the right drivers on your linux system you wont get beryl up and running.

If your only switching because of the GUI then you need to decide what your getting out of windows. Most people only switch for functionality and usability. If you have a need for it, a purpose, then fine, but if you only want because it looks pretty, you get what you pay for(or don't when open source). Buy a mac if you want "pretty".

They all serve a purpose, but what is it you would be using it for? If you don't know how to use Linux/*nix then try a skin/shell gui hack for windows. Finding a distro that works with all your hardware is a bitch when using linux. And if your using a laptop, make damn sure you can find drivers for the graphics card and other hardware, or you might as well use it as a paperweight when done and you will have to put windows back on it. Best things to do is try a livecd of what you want and see if it runs on your lappy before you switch. Skins and themes are just for show and have no bearing on what the OS can do for you.

Most linux's work in pretty much the same way, but unless you know what your doing go for one of the bigger name brand distro's like Debian/Ubuntu, Redhat/Fedora or Suse. Simple reason is there will be more guides to the bigger distro's. Ubuntu would be a good desktop OS for you, but i would recommend something a little more meaty for a server os. And like others have said, use the command line. Linux doesn't really work as a gui only OS yet.

Have you been living in a cave? Anyway good luck to people that switch, although you should think twice if the only reason you are is because you like the flashy user interface that does very little for general day to day tasks.

I cannot say I don't like the gui but it is for sure not the only reason. I run a game server and having linux may run a bit smoother than winxp. As far as my laptop goes until I can find a version of linux that works with my hardware I'm not trying it. And I cant say I'll leave windows behind because I've never used linux although I've heard tons about it. It is open source and I've seen many things I'd like to run from sf.net but I cant because its for linux.

Anyway I might try using it on my server a virtual machine and if nothing else I'll get an old junk pc and learn to use linux on that.

EDIT

My Acer Aspire 5050 laptop has two patitions the second most likley for backup, cant I just install linux on that to be safe? or will there be other problems?

My Acer Aspire 5050 laptop has two patitions the second most likley for backup, cant I just install linux on that to be safe? or will there be other problems?

You could and then dual boot, but most of these partitions only give you about 5gig for recovery of the OS and Top Linux Distros are going to want that much just for the install. That is, if you install every option, etc. I think Fedore Core 6 took about 4 gig of space when I installed it with minimal options, so your not going to have a whole lot of room left over for much else.

As for VM, if you have a fast rig, test it out there first. I wouldn't do it on a laptop as a full time OS though unless it was killer top of the line with tons of memory. I run VMware on my lappy to test things like Linux and I even had Vista on there for a while to see if I wanted to switch, but its more for testing and safe surfing on wireless when away from home. Things like AnonymOS and DSL are nice for sufing the web and not having to worry about people geting to my real desktop in the event that somehthing happens while on the road. It's about the only time I use my wireless on the laptop, just for security reasons, so it does come in handy if you want to test things while on the road. My laptop is a 2.2 ghz AMD Athlon 64 Mobile with 1gig of ram and 120gig hard drive running Windows XP Pro, so you can run VM there, just won't be as fast or stable as on a dedicated server meant just for this sort of setup. A multy cpu dedicated server would be ideal for doing what you want in the long run. The laptop is just for fun.

I have been trying to help some one connect to MSN with your exact model of laptop. MSN Live Messenger crashes as soon as you run it and Pidgin trys to connect, but it eventually times out. I bet it's AO(fucking cunt)L + Vista related.

Linux? Meh... its fake unix for people who hate windows. Get your BSD on! As for Beryl/Compiz-Fusion, i find that the dev's tended to focus on what was possible rather than what make a usable interface. So while it looks damn cool on youtube, in practice its kinda janky  in places.

BSD is fake Unix too.  How about trying out AIX :)

I don't need to comment, you all know what I'm thinking.

lol Moonlit, Gee.... I Wonder what on Earth are you thinking.......... Hmmm Ima gonna have to think about that....

O wait in the process of writing this, I figured it out and HA HA HA HA!!!!!

:D