Access 2wire behind router inside my network

kfault

Hi, I configured my 2wire so it was in bridge mode and that way I could use my wrt54g as a router.  Everything works fine and I have much more features because I flashed dd-wrt into my router.

The only problem is now I can't access the 2wire the computers in the network and I would like to be able to see the configuration page.

The ip of the 2wire is 192. 168. 1. 254, the 2wire is in bridge mode as I said before, and the router is connected to the 2wire.

Anyone knows what do I need to do in order to be able to access the 2wire from inside my network (behind the router) ?

Thanks.   

If you have the 2wire's WAN port hooked directly into a LAN port on the WRT54G you might need to use a machine using a LAN port on the 2wire to enable the remote access function for the 2wires router gui. This should allow computers connected to the wrt54g to access the 2wires gui.

Well actually I have the WAN port from the WRT54G connected to a LAN port in the 2wire, I think this is what you mean.

I was checking at the configuration in the 2wire and it seems I don't have an option for remote access. I searched in Google and every page says the same but I just don't have that option.

I don't know mucho about networks, but if I can't enable remote access, would static routes help? Do they relate to this case?

Thanks.

Not sure I understand what your trying to do, but you want to connect from the internet to your 2wire router which is behind your WRT54G? Or is the WRT54G behind the 2wire?

EX: Cable Modem -> WRT54G -> 2wire

or is it

Cable Modem -> 2Wire    -> WRT54G

Can you assign the 2wire an ip address within 2wire, and then port forward requests from the Wrt54g to the 2wire's admin ip address. If they both use the same address for administration then you won't be able toconnect to the 2wire from the internet if it is second in the chain. It needs it's own ip assigned for it's administration.

I had the same problem with my neighbors new wireless router when they were on DSL. The router used a default admin address of 192.168.1.1 and their DSL connection from their ISP had the same address of the DSL router that they were connected to at the ISP. Their connection didn't get assigned like that of a cable operator, which would be assigned by the router connecting to the isp's DNS server. Not sure why but that was the first time I worked with a DSL connection and it was frustrating to try and get the router working and connected to the internet. Once we changed the address within their new wireless router, they were able to connect online.

I would imagine somehting similar is happening in your situation. If your connected directly to the 2wire then just use the "192. 168. 1. 254" address to conenct to its admin console, but you need to specify in the 2wire that it is the ip address for administration. If connecting from the internet, then you need to port forward all requests to the "192. 168. 1. 254" address if you want to conenct to the 2wire admin page. You can specify a specific port and address for the wrt54g's admin page, I don't see why you couldn't do the same for the 2wire(although I hav enever used a 2wire router).

Not sure I understand what your trying to do, but you want to connect from the internet to your 2wire router which is behind your WRT54G? Or is the WRT54G behind the 2wire?

EX: Cable Modem -> WRT54G -> 2wire

or is it

Cable Modem -> 2Wire    -> WRT54G

Connecting to it from the internet is not what I want, I want to access it from my network.

The setup is like this:

Phone line  ->  2Wire  ->  WRT54G  ->  Computers connected to the WRT54G

The 2Wire is in bridge mode, basically it's a modem; the WRT54G connects by PPPoE to my ISP and acts as the router of my network.

The WRT54G's ip is 192.168.1.1 and the 2Wire's ip was 192.168.1.254 when it was acting as my router.

My computers are all behind the WRT54G and I can connect to it just fine , the problem is I also want to connect to the 2Wire from my computers. If I connect an ethernet cable directly to the 2Wire then I can access it using the 192.168.1.254 ip but what I want is to access it behind the router.

I hope I explained myself correctly this time.

I think you did that backwards The dd-wrt should be on the wan and the 2wire on a dd-wrt's LAN

unless I misunderstood you

I don't think it should be connected like that because the 2wire doesn't even have a WAN port. It has the phone line port and 4 ethernet ports for the LAN.

What type of routing are you using BGP? OSPF? RIP2? Have you tried forwaring DNS requests to the 2wire? Or using the box as a switch/ap instead of a gateway?

I'm not sure which type of routing I'm using. I found at the Advanced Routing tab in dd-wrt the types you mentioned and "gateway" and that's what I'm using. I think it should be gateway because it's hosting my internet connection but I don't know much about networks so I'm sorry if it should be another option.

Thanks again everyone! =)

Is it even possible to port forward "backwards". I mean, can you take a connection and throw it back at itself from the wrtg? I don't think it is possible without the 2wire having a port to take input from the WRT. I think when you try to connect to the 2wires address you will get stuck on the WRT unless there is a way to port forward it back to the 2wire.

The only way I see is to open it up to connections from the internet and then just use your IP address and assigned admin port on the 2wire to connect to it as a remote admin connection (if it has a setting for this). Just need to make sure it is password protected and changed from whatever the default password is that comes with it. -OR-  have another pc with two nic/wireless cards and do some sort of smoothwall back to the 2wire using the extra pc as a router between the 2wire and your network. THsi way you don't expose it to remote admin attacks on your 2wire, because someone with enough time and patience might guess the password or know of an exploit to bypass it if remote admin is turned on.

EX:

2wire > wrt >  ports to pcs on the network,

extra port on 2wire to smoothwall that can connect to a pc in your network as well as re-route back to the 2wire. > Extra nic/wireless adapter set to receive connections from your network on the smoothwall and then port forward them back to the 2wire since this pc is only connected to the 2wire and not the wrt.

Ok, starting to make more sense now. If your wrt54g is running as a gateway then your running 2 seperate 192.168.x.x IP pools, hence the networks being unable to talk to each other (your asking the wrt to connect you to 192.168.1.254, and its routing you threw to that address on its lan interface, not its wan interface where the 2wire lives). Screw pissing about with smoothwall (quite how a 3rd router in this mix would help I don't know), just set the wrt to function as a switch/ap and to pass on its DNS and DHCP requests to the 2wire box. An alternative to this would be setting the 2wire to function as a modem without any NAT or router functions, that would be even easier but you could only plug one device into it (ie the wrt54g which then acts like a regular router plugged into a cable modem).

You could also try setting your wrt54g to use a class A private network instead of a class C, which there both using atm. This might just be enough to fix it.

You know what guys? I think the way I have my setup it's impossible to do what I want.

I think it can't be done because the WRT54G has a direct connection to the internet. If I do a traceroute it never passes through the 2wire.

I tried to change the private network class and that didn't work. I also tried to pass the DNS and DHCP to the 2wire but apparently the WRT54G isn't able to communicate with it so I don't know what to do.

Maybe if I changed the subnet of the 2wire and then made a static route so it goes through the WAN port it would work? I don't know if this is even logical...

Well thanks a lot again and please tell me if you have any other ideas and why you think my idea would/wouldn't work.