trojan i've been hacked help!

dormentnoobie

yes ther is ONLY one way to be absolutely sure that the malware is gone, but that is and allways should be a last resort, only if you KNOW all others have failed.

if you scratched the paint on you care, would you buy a paint scratch repair kit and fix it, or take the whole car apart piece by peice to make sure you fixed all the damage that was done.

1) Restoring using System Restore: Not an option, malware often inserts itself in to the backups.

2) Reinstalling Windows over itself: Not always an option, there is malware that can and will every exe file it comes in contact with. Reinstalling over Windows without first erasing the HDD and then running some program you thought was fine puts you right back to square one.

3) Formatting and reinstalling from scratch: The only sure way to eradicate malware in an OS install. If you do any less you potentially have problems.

yes this CAN be true, but isnt allways, you dont have to be paranoid about this as you will ALLWAYS find out if you are still infected.

the truth is that you can go right off the wall the first time and wipe everything eveytime, this will work, everytime, so will buying a new car when you get in a fender-bender, but you can also try repairing it.

if its still in there after you run spybot, adaware and avg antispyware as well as your antivirus of choice (i use avg, free and it works, but you use what you want, most programs do a decent job, but were not here to argue that)

after that if it fails, you can try a sys restore

IF that fails then try a windows reinstall over itself

if ALL ELSE FAILS wipe and start anew.

trust me, i have only once ever had toreach the windows reinstall stage.

and ive been using XP for 6 years

also MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE, if you dont update STAY THE HELL OFF THE NET!

yes ther is ONLY one way to be absolutely sure that the malware is gone, but that is and allways should be a last resort, only if you KNOW all others have failed.

But it's impossible to tell if removing it worked.

if you scratched the paint on you care, would you buy a paint scratch repair kit and fix it, or take the whole car apart piece by peice to make sure you fixed all the damage that was done.

Bad analogy, does a scratch on the paint work effect the reliability and security of the car? If the computer in the car got comprimised, you would replace it with out thinking twice (unless you simply couldn't afford it at the time, but then you are likely to have your car stolen if the doors won't lock).

long story (and gettting longer) short... The best pratice is to backup Important data and reinstall the os..

if you want to be 'lazy' about it you can try to remove it.  But a good job of doing that would take longer then re-installing the OS (and still might not work), and a bod job at it, you might as well do nothing...  and besides it's a windows box it needs a reinstall aver 9-12 months anyway

But if your dumb enough to get infected once, chances are its not the only nasty thats been installed. I don't know, I come from a world where its quicker just to re-image/re-install (thank you nlite) than it is to bother pissing about hacking things out of your system. Yeah, you can remove stuff, but I got burnt by the Chernobyl virus back in the 90's by thinking I'd removed it all. Ultimately it is your call, a reinstall is usually the safest bet IMO.

long story (and gettting longer) short... The best pratice is to backup Important data and reinstall the os..

if you want to be 'lazy' about it you can try to remove it.  But a good job of doing that would take longer then re-installing the OS (and still might not work), and a bod job at it, you might as well do nothing...  and besides it's a windows box it needs a reinstall aver 9-12 months anyway

This post is 100% correct.

the thing here is that he knows he has malware on his machine because it has symptoms, so he can tell when it is gone

This is incorrect. Symptoms from malware can surface without being infected, simply by being on the same network as an infected computer. e.g. blaster, or the attack that I mentioned in my last post. Additionally, some malware, particularly worms, do not have symptoms. You must actively look for such infections on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, you don't get to know what case it is beforehand.

All posts by the OP in this thread would indicate to me that he/she is running a poorly defended machine on a network that has one or more compromised computers.

I got burnt by the Chernobyl

lol @ the pun

Has anyone else noticed that the OP stopped posting without stating that the issue has been resolved?

Nope, your full of it. The whole point of this is that if you need to ask questions about removing a common virus it is better to reinstall windows with better security from the get go, thus preventing infection in the first place. If you know how to google for information you can find work around guides and removal guides for pretty much anything, but if you need to ask for help, its already to late. Most of us here don't get viruses because we have decent security, can spot them from a mile off and know how not to be infected. We just have varying levels of paranoia, I know how to remove viruses, but I wouldn't want to keep using a system that has been comprised and advocate the same.

You don't know what your doing, so starting again with a better security model, ie anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall set to strict that passes a leak test, sandbox application and/or disposable virtual windows installs, firefox with some anti-crap plugins and most importantly get a better understanding of security risks that face you as a windows user will help you avoid this situation in the future. Its really not that hard to keep windows crap free.

ok, you know what, i agree with vako and all the others stating that you should reinstall windows if youve been infected. because thats what i do. if it gets past my security software, i will reinstall windows. but for me this takes next to no time at all. but if he is in here asking this question (which makes me wonder how long he has owned a comp) then this solution isnt a response suited hto him. hes better off simply getting most of the crap out and letting it slowly build up till he cant use windows, then install it.

he wasnt asking what we would do, he was asking what HE should do.

I ask here first because I see the power of Hak.5 greater than the power of Google in the case of computers.

Sparda always says if your infected then your screwed I know this is not true weather or not you beleve this is your own, but that is my view of it.

hsncorrosion thinks it's ok to keep a compromised OS, I don't know of a better reason to format and reinstall.