Steghide and myspace

unasoto

I was jonesing in for my Technolust and watched an old episode. The steghide and steganography episode live beta 01.  I decided that I was going to play with steghide and gave it a test. I wanted to see if I could hide some files/send messages inside pictures and posted on my space.  The first time I did this myspace resized the picture which made it impossible for me to extract the hidden file.  So I started over by uploaded picture first to my space and then downloaded the picture so that it would be in the proper size and format, then I embedded a hidden file and reposted it to myspace.  When I downloaded it again, I got the same problem. Steghide could not extract the hidden file.  I then thought OK I will take that same file and put it up in photobucket and when I downloaded it from photobucket I was unable to extract the hidden file.  I really thought I would be able to use this with photobucket and just put links to the images.  Does anyone know of another free web site that will host photos like photobucket that doesn't modify them?

renfaire2005.jpg

this is a picture of me working at the 2005 northern California Renaissance Faire the password is password. :)

I think you either have to have a host that does not add any cookie to the image or change it's size to save space, etc or send the image directly to someone to decode it, like in an email or somehting. If you put it in a zip file peopel could download it, but defeats the purpose of "hiding it in the open" (is that an oxy moron?) Anyway, I think any site that hosts image sis probably going to change it to save space either by resizing or compressing it. Also, some sites remove/add meta data to their liking so they can add or keep it out of search engines.

Edit: I meant to say EXIF data instead of Meta data, but pretty much the same thing...

Maybe clean all exif data from your image before running it through steghide and then try reuploading the image. See if that makes any difference.

I think you either have to have a host that does not add any cookie to the image or change it's size to save space

You need a host that doesn't change the image at all.

That's what I meant... :)