WTF LINUX FOR $$$ NO WAY!

ynt4xe770r

My advice to you is: put the poster up! (but don't get caught). Just make sure its good, has correct spelling and grammer. Let the consumers know about there choices. (but then again, how many of them are going to be able to download and iso, burn it an install linux on there own?).

My advice to you is: put the poster up! (but don't get caught). Just make sure its good, has correct spelling and grammer. Let the consumers know about there choices. (but then again, how many of them are going to be able to download and iso, burn it an install linux on there own?).

thats probally why they are selling it lol

If they were charging for it then hopefull you would be getting some other things with it.

I can remember a friend when he bought his first copy of linux (Suse Pro because home as more expensive). It came with a nice manuel and other things, not just the CDs.

People do just sell the CDs though for quiet a bit of money. At the linux world expo a set of sets for a distro was usually £5. But then you are paying for them downloading it, checking the download, burning it to CD or DVD and then checking the data on the disc. So you know you have got a copy with no mistakes on.

Plus also buying the discs from the organisation also supports them and shows them that you like their work.

At microcenter they were actually selling linux for 100$+ isnt that just gay suse linux for 60$ wtfh i just felt like puting a poster there saying DOWNLOAD THEM!

Um I fail to see your point. I tend to think that this is a good thing. Paying for a distro like suse or xandros ensures that those OS will have better support in the future. there are 200+ distros out there. If 2 or 3 of them are selling for money who honestly cares. If suse and xandros start showing up in bestbuy, and office max then linux will start to become a viable alternative to windows. Remember this, the average consumer is of the opinion that you cant get anything for free.

I understand it might be shocking to you, but some people PAY MONEY to run certain software. If you think RedHat is keeping all those OSS programmers working on the kernel and glibc and other equally trivial software using what they get from donations, you're kidding yourself.

Quite a few distro's out there actually charge you for them. Some settle for just the money they spent on the CDs/DVDs and the packaging. Others ask a little more so they can make the software better. Others want more, but give you more in return. Such as free tech support for the first month (and after that, you can license for more), or some proprietary pieces they developed themselves, or even licensed from other parties.

Given your reaction I'm assuming you're running Linux. All that software given to you for absolutely nothing. What did you ever give back? (And this is by no means directed at Syntax. Anybody who's running a 'free' OS should ask themselves the same question) Did you ever donate to a project? Did you buy some stuff they're selling to support the project? Did you help them out by pointing out a problem in the software, or better yet, provide a patch that fixes the bug in question?

I can answer 'yes' to 2 of those questions, and actually feel a little guilty about it because I feel I should be doing more.

When you read Theo De Raadt ask the community for funds so they can keep developing OpenBSD and, for most people more importantly, OpenSSH, were you equally outraged that he was asking for money for this FREE piece of software?

Being able to get something for free doesn't automatically make it the right thing to do.

Um I fail to see your point. I tend to think that this is a good thing. Paying for a distro like suse or xandros ensures that those OS will have better support in the future. there are 200+ distros out there. If 2 or 3 of them are selling for money who honestly cares. If suse and xandros start showing up in bestbuy, and office max then linux will start to become a viable alternative to windows. Remember this, the average consumer is of the opinion that you cant get anything for free.

Just to tell you dude bsd was 200$

I paid for my first ever Linux which was a 4-CD Slackware version which came with a 150 page book explaining how to set the sucker up, how to get around in VI, how to configure Sendmail (since back then, that was pretty much THE mailserver to run), etc. That book was invaluable to me.

I've run into some bugs with the Gimp that I reported, and did a bit of retesting for Wine. I was the lead programmer for Operation Project X which was basically the worst distributed computing idea ever, but still fun to work on while it lasted. I've gotten my company to get a license for VMWare Workstation and renew it for the past 5 years now. I managed to get them to purchase copies of Mandrake and Debian as opposed to just downloading it. I've bought a couple of Linux books from various vendors about Samba, TcL/tk, Corba, Mono, Ant, etc. and I'm pretty sure some of that money went back into the community too.

I'd buy shirts and stuff, but living in .nl pretty much means that the shipping costs are more than the price of the actual product. I'd rather support a project than the postal service.