Flash WMA

Spook

I need to make a music player for my website to stream music

Before I go anyfurther do any of you guys no if it is possible to stream .wma files with flash

The last time I checked it wasnt supported due to microsoft not embedding something into the .wma coded or what have you

Obviously can be done with mp3, but needs to be .wma

Any one have any idea what Im talking about?

I think you may be out of luck here to be honest. Unless you can somehow stream the wma files to something that is compatible with flash (just on the loopback connection) your best option would be to just stick with the emended windows media player thingy.

Just tried messing around with them in flash 8. Looks like you will either have to convert them to mp3 or embed them into a flash file, which defeats the purpose of playing from a playlist since it creates a whole new file type(which will be huge) that plays them from within the flash file.

Convert them to mp3 and throw them into a flash playlist or array pointing to them on your server or just stick with the windows embedded player.

One thing you might try to is see if you can preload portions of the wma files somehow or run some sort of QOS control to ensure packet delivery so you don't have issues with the files stopping like you have noted above.

Maybe microsoft.com or msdn might have some code on how to control this (if it is even possible). I don't know it there is something like MHN service for streaming over the internet. (MHN Service in Windows - Multimedia Home Networking (MHN) is a networking platform for Audio Video (AV) streaming applications on IP home networks. MHN enhances AV streaming performance and reliability by ensuring network quality-of-service (QoS) for AV applications by providing mechanisms for admission control, run time monitoring and enforcement, application feedback, and traffic prioritization.)

Is QOS going to work on linux? Not quite sure how I would go about that?

I'm not so good with linux, but this might be a place to start: http://whitepapers.techrepublic.com.com/wh...px?docid=291877

Not sure if it will help, but it is along the topic of streaming audio with linux and QOS control. Just the topic alone might be a good google souce to help you out.