Is it possible to unfreeze a hotmail account?

GonZor

Is it possible to unfreeze a hotmail account? My friend recently had her account frozen. I believe it was frozen using "IceCold ReLoaded", we don't know who froze the account so we cannot report them. If we can unfreeze the account we have the password, so this is not about trying to hack into the account.

I have tested and I cannot unfreeze her account using "IceCold ReLoaded" we need to close their version which is freezing her account, unfortunately we only have a vague idea of who may be doing this, so I cannot use "social engineering" and punch them in the face.

I have searched Google for hours and the two replies that come up are "Reset your password" and "You won't get the account back". We have tried several times to reset the password but to no avail it still has the same error message, We don't plan to continue using this account but she would like her contacts list. Does someone know how we can unfreeze the account (all we want is the contacts list)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Account freezing is the result of a number of failed login attempts as far as I am aware. The results of which is the user not been able to login for 30 minuets. The only way to keep some one out of there account is to hit it with three login attempts every half hour all the time. If Microsoft are any good about dealing with this sort of things they will probably black traffic to the MSN messengers server for a short time.

One thing you can do is stop using MSN Masseger and instead use some thing better. For example: Google Talk

From what I can tell it's much more difficult to continually have Google auto lock accounts for a small number of failed login attempts. After two failed attempts they make you enter a capcha. And I have had instances where I'v hand to enter my own password 5ish times becasue I'm a bit stupid.

One thing you can do is stop using MSN Masseger and instead use some thing better. For example: Google Talk

From what I can tell it's much more difficult to continually have Google auto lock accounts for a small number of failed login attempts. After two failed attempts they make you enter a capcha. And I have had instances where I'v hand to enter my own password 5ish times becasue I'm a bit stupid.

I was thinking of swapping her over to trillian, it seems simple. I'm going to set her up an account either on my server or with gmail and hopefully this will stop the "skiddie" (lack of a better word, its nearly 4am) from locking her out. or would google talk be a better option than trillian?

If you're considering Trillian, you might as well consider Miranda and Pidgin (previously Gaim). I use Pidgin, but I have a friend who practically swears by Miranda. I used to use Trillian, but decided to support open-source software and go with Pidging (it was still Gaim back then).

Trillian is amazing IMHO, the ability to connect to almost all of the protocols at once is very nice.  Trillian Astra, currently in alpha, will support even more protocols (myspace has an im protocol??) and will be a nice upgrade when it comes out.  The skin on Astra loads a lot quicker than any other IM program I've ever used, although you'll find that v3.1 (the current release) loads a bit slowly.  3.1 lacks video support unless you're willing to pay the $25 for pro.  I think the comparison chart they have is pretty clear, so if you look at their website you'll find it.

Messages that contain the phrase "download.php" get dropped for some reason.

That is odd. But to be honest, you have to use what your friends use

True all her friends are on msn so she needs a client that is compatible. It would take too much effort to convince them all to move over to google talk.

Update on the frozen account, I figured out who was doing this and it seems he doesn't like it when his girlfriends account gets frozen. After arguing for 5 minutes he decided to unfreeze her account to save his girlfriends account. I was right he was using "IceCold ReLoaded" fortunately that doesn't work against gmail account which is where I will create a new account for her (it may block her from using msn but at least she still has email). Thanks for all the help.

Messages that contain the phrase "download.php" get dropped for some reason.

That is odd. But to be honest, you have to use what your friends use

True all her friends are on msn so she needs a client that is compatible. It would take too much effort to convince them all to move over to google talk.

Update on the frozen account, I figured out who was doing this and it seems he doesn't like it when his girlfriends account gets frozen. After arguing for 5 minutes he decided to unfreeze her account to save his girlfriends account. I was right he was using "IceCold ReLoaded" fortunately that doesn't work against gmail account which is where I will create a new account for her (it may block her from using msn but at least she still has email). Thanks for all the help.

did you punch him in the face?

I was right he was using "IceCold ReLoaded" fortunately that doesn't work against gmail account which is where I will create a new account for her

Some logic you've got going on there, pal.

Problem: Someone's using a tool that automates logging in incorrectly on my account every 30 minutes, causing the account to be frozen and is thus rendered useless to me.

Solution: Change to software that this tool doesn't support.

Feel free to add "(yet)" to the solution.

The problem is that the login name is the name that you tell people to use when they want to talk to you. If the username and the MSN address weren't the same, this problem wouldn't need to be circumvented in such a shoddy fashion.

The problem is that the login name is the name that you tell people to use when they want to talk to you. If the username and the MSN address weren't the same, this problem wouldn't need to be circumvented in such a shoddy fashion.

Agreed but at least this will be a temporary bypass until they have found a better way to fix the problem, people that use hotmail for their primary business email are paying thousands of dollars to people to get their accounts unfrozen. so it is a serious problem, but if you are using hotmail for your primary business email then there is a problem to begin with.

did you punch him in the face?

Haven't seen him since, I will be seeing him soon though.  :-P