Hak5 EU Meetup Name

cyber_eagle

Which of these names is best for the hak5 eu meetup?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• geekmeet
    • hackpackers
    • hostelhackers

The hak5 eu meetup is starting to come together with some fun activities and people getting confirmed and booked in, its become a "thing" and it needs a name to stick in peoples mind! Make you're choice, these are the best of the ones we argued over in the irc channel  :cool:

What's up with people's fascination to name *EVERYTHING*?!?

We as a group need a name, the admins need another name, the meetup needs a name...

NO IT DOESN'T!

What's wrong with "Hak.5 EU Meetup"? It's what everyone uses, knows about, and seems to be rather happy with. Or am I missing something obvious?

It was pointed out by a few people that the meet has very little to do with hak5 anymore, so thats part of it. Its grown beyond it in some ways its more like a general meeting/party under the hak5 banner, and in fact its not even technically that. Some people have already been confused or disappointed by the fact that none of the hak5 crew will probably be there (unless we're lucky).

But we also want to give this an identity. Right now its just an slapshod nothing, but its generating way more interest and activity than anyone expected, and people are already talking about how cool it would be to pull it off well and have it as a semi regular event, with other groups getting involved and adding to the geekery and fun, bringing their own things to it to share with the wider community. There's no real requirement to have watched every episode and discuss them alone. A name turns it in to a "thing", its something that sticks in peoples mind. You must have noticed how people respond when something has a name, its as if it suddenly exists. Look at all the medical conditions that are actually collections of symptoms with no known cause or connection, or those based on gradients to which no separate identity can be given. A name brings identity and organisation around a single symbolic entity. Of course I never expected to describe it in those terms but I figured I may as well explain it lol.

As for the other things with names, I don't know about those, they probably are pretty pointless, but TKAF is obviously nothing but a bit of fun name wise hehe. Personally for this I think a name is better than a sentence describing what it is.

Also, while I'm posting...

The point has been raised that hackpackers could sound like fudgepackers. Most people see it as a pun on backpackers, and anyway we are indeed "packing hack", but still... figured I'd throw it out there for debate. A simpe solution is just to go for "hackpack", which is a pretty fair name for an event, and implies attendees are hackpackers

Yeah most people say "ee you", but that didn't stop us having a lot of puns by pronouncing it "you" (it kinda is that depending how you say it), which I actually stole from signs around liverpool on sites funded by the eu that say "thank eu" lol.

Maybe "hack eu" or hack.eu (hack you!) is better after all, I'm just thinking if theres ognna be lots of these things you can't have a description of the event all the time, not that its this scale but like cansecwest, eusecwest, etc. thinking aloud I guess.

I'd say just call it "The Meetup", "The UK Meetup" or "The EU Meetup".

I also strongly feel that if you _are_ going to give it some funky name, people in the other communities that will attend should have a say in this aswell.

I'd say just call it "The Meetup", "The UK Meetup" or "The EU Meetup".

I also strongly feel that if you _are_ going to give it some funky name, people in the other communities that will attend should have a say in this aswell.

I disagree, as we are organising it and inviting others along it is "our" event and so we can name it whatever we want.

Also, what would it be like if things like Shmoocon, Defcon and InfoSec didn't have names? Everyone would be going round asking "are you going to the meet up in Washington in February?" rather than the easier "are you going to Shmoocon?"

We may be starting small but as someone pointed out, if this does take off, some name will stick and it is better one that we have agreed on and we are happy with rather than something random that comes from someone with no real involvement with the event.

well we've had no new votes on the name for a while, but i'd like to see a few more ideally before we close this. But if not never mind, anyway.. *BUMP* hehe. Also what do people think on hackpack vs hackpackers, sort of like the event vs the attendees perhaps.

I already created hackpack in the wiki to redirect to Meetup/London, though we could redirect Meetup/London to hackpack and rename it more, I don't think it really matters at this point.

After the event we can have a page about the event in general, but that page is more of a dynamic organisational thing right now.