use lapyop display for desktop :)

unasoto

Ok I’m going to ask this here I have a Dell inspiron 8500 the display has been violently ripped from the base. ?  The Wifi, Bluetooth, and ram have been removed, It’s trashed however it has the video card and the display. I have been told they worked when I got it. I’ve spent the last 4+ hours with Google trying to find out how to use it as a second monitor for my desktop. Everyone says it can only be done with a controller card like this site http://www.geocities.com/p9019/lcdpanel says. I’ve found sites that sell the controller cards http://store.earthlcd.com/ but that’s more than I want to spend on this  mod. ? The connection from the video card to the motherboard looks like maybe AGP for laptops. I’m looking to put the video card into my desktop, maybe with a PCI to APG card. anyone have any ideas?

heres the part # and description from Dell

7T774 --------LCD DISPLAY, Wide Super Extended Graphics Array, NO-SPWG, 15.4, SAMSUNG

2Y068 --------ASSEMBLY, CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 64M, NV28, 64-BIT

http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/partpictur...category=boards

If the computer was working, there are software solutions that will allow you to use it as another monitor over a (fast) network, but you'll have quite a bit of hardware hacking ahead of you if you want to use it as a stand alone monitor.

Wow this question has been asked so many times. Long answer yes you can use a laptop LCD as a monitor but you need a controller card or a really extensive knowledge of computer graphic architecture. Both are overly expensive with  messy/ ugly results and would be much better if you just bought a monitor. Short answer: No

That will depend on how the graphics card connects to the laptop. Its not that likely that it will just plug straight into your desktop. in all honesty you should just make it work as a laptop again and use some form of X forwarding or similar.

I know where you coming from, i've been looking for a laptop that would double for a head on servers.

Even if the laptop card is something standard like AGP or PCI Express (most are), not only will the physical connection be incompatible, I wouldn't be surprised if there's soft/firm protection in the card to prevent it from being used in a normal desktop.  I know with my Dell Inspiron 9300, there was talk that the BIOS'es on the video cards that would prevent them from even being used on different models of the same product line (however, I never confirmed this).  If it's feasible to pull off this hack, I would only do it if I wanted something to be proud of.  There's no way it's time- or money-efficient to do this hack for actually using it.  It'd probably be cheaper in the end to either fix your laptop or buy a new video card and/or monitor.

nullspace has come the closest to what I want to do. I took some pic to show you what I have to work with. What I think will be the cheapest and easiest is tho find some kind of adapter for the video card.

card_and_display.jpg

this is the other side of the video card and the plug snaps into the motherboard. I'm looking for an adapter for that connection. maybe a PCI or AGP card?

video_card.jpg

I posted the same thing two posts before yours.

and not what he wants.

I read that and thats just a software solution all he did was but a working laptop in a box. My laptop would cost too much to get working again thats why I'm looking to do this. If I had the $$ to get it working I would use it as a laptop :(

[me=killzone]= duh! ...sorry about that, I didnt read teh entire article i stumbled upon it looking up the DYI jet bike on there.[/me]

Thanks for looking, most laptops have display controller built onto the motherboard. That's why I don't think I'm going to find an adapter for the video card into my desktop.  I may get ambitious and find a plug and then a wire it myself or I may just spend to $70 to buy one of the kits. :)

does anyone read past the subject line on a post anymore? I know you guys are trying to help but if you can't read the whole thing then wait till you can then post. It's just common courtesy to listen to what some has to say be for replying. Think verbal conversation

does anyone read past the subject line on a post anymore? I know you guys are trying to help but if you can't read the whole thing then wait till you can then post. It's just common courtesy to listen to what some has to say be for replying. Think verbal conversation
QFE