just an idea... another internet

subflames

i have been thinking alot about the internet and lan's i was wondering what of a 3rd underground internet made from lan's

the basics be able to link wireless lan's together to be able to make a larger network it would be 100% community driven the wireless routers would act as one making so if i was to put up an ftp sever it could be accessed by any one that can connect to my wireless lan or the ones connected to me and so on until it reaches them there would be no monthly cost every wireless owner could be an ISP and make a new free and maybe faster internet from the ground up

A number of small communities do this already. I know Seattle wireless is essentially this idea. http://seattlewireless.net/

My cousin use to live in a sub division in Massachusetts that had a couple tech guys that came together to product a neighbor hood wide mesh network with file shareing, FTP, Jabber network, IRC and game servers. It was a cool idea and reduces that bottle neck we call broadband.

If you can be patient then just wait for the 802 to finish amendment s to the 802.11 protocol. 802.11s will provide wireless mesh networking on top of the high speed that is provided by 802.11n. Since it will be a standard it will be cheep and mass produced by everyone. The problem, however, is that it will be a year or two until we see the Linksys WRT402S on the market.

If you want something right now then you'll have to re purpose one of your existing WAPs or computers with one of the hundreds of wireless mesh implementations that are out there. The problem is that this is really expensive, and everyone in your community has to agree upon one implementation as the differing protocols are not compatible.

I can't provide much more information on this topic. I would like to hear some user experiences from those who have used some of the existing mesh protocols.

the main problem with something like that is unless you make a specific WAP/Router for this, everyone will be connecting there own router with DHCP on and a million diffrent gateways to the internet,

Also everyone would be connected on a LAN like system that would make it really unsecure.

It would be a nightmare.

This wouldn't be too bad if you wanted to share your internet with a people in your dorm or your neigbors, but they would need to be people that you trust

lol this would need alot of work i no its just an idea i was putting out there seeing what others thought i have kinda always wanted to move away from ISP's i understand that it was be a nightmare but thats just a problem that would need alot of fixing in the back bone also how to make that backbone might be a problem...

i had an idea like this, similar to what you plan, it would involve a wireless network that would be extended by repeaters and people would sign up for accountws to access my internet, i basically wanted to thumb my nose at the ISPs who cant be bothered to get thier coverage into the boonies-type areas, where currently there is only 28k dial-up.

the idea would be that there would be a repeater device (basically just has to recieve signals (all of them on the wireless network) and send them out again, but boosted from original signal strength, basically a series of amplifiers to increase system's coverage) at the edge of each repeaters range, and its antenna would be raised into the air. if done right there would be a large amount of redundancy as if one goses down, the signal can (and is) circumventing it by going around the hole.

i have heard of people being able to easily boost thier wireless network signals to go to quite far distances using dipole antennas and signal amplifiers.

and since they will be raised above most cover, the distace travellable from to the other will be quite great and since once it travells from one, iot will be prolly to weak to reach through cover in to your house by the time it reache the other, but the other will also be transmitting creating a double overlap