Vista Troubles - Need Some Help

astromodder

I recently built a new computer and transferred Windows Vista Business 64-bit from my old computer to it.  Before going off about me purchasing this and not using linux like a lot of geeks are doing is I do not really have the time to learn linux as I am very busy with school right now and just do not have the time, plus some of the requirements for the online classes will make my life a lot easier if I use Windows, you will read why I switched to Vista later.  Here are some of the current specs of the machine for reference:

Motherboard:  ASUS P5NT WS

CPU:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM:  4 GB CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Video Cards:  2 XFX GeForce 7600 (Not currently in SLI for troubleshooting)

My problem is the computer is crashing left and right.  My previous computer that had this exact operating system on it, had an ASUS P5WD2-E Premium motherboard with only 2 GB of the same RAM, and a Pentium D 950 ran smooth as silk with Vista, thus bringing me attached to it as I had a lot of problems with XP on that machine.  But this one is crashing left and right.  Sometimes it crashes immediately after logging in but most of the time it would be when I was installing software, mainly Photoshop, that was the worst, or just working with a video in VirtualDub.

I received a few blue screens before with kernel page errors and I moved on to booting from the Vista CD and going into command prompt and deleting the pagefile.sys to create a new one but none of this helped.

I have set the memory timings manually in the BIOS to 4-4-4-12 as the memory says and to 2T and this has helped some but not much, this mainly helped speed up the system some.

Any advice on how to correct this problem or if there is a solution?  The main crashes and lockups were in VirtualDub and Photoshop, however some lockups have just occurred periodically.

One more thing, all overclocking features have never been turned on and everything is running at stock speeds and the crashing was worse when I took out 2 gigs to test it with only 2 gigs installed.

I don't know if this will help but I was having similiar problems with Vista Ultimate 64-bit crashing at least once a day.  Sometimes overnight when it wasn't even doing anything (that I know of).  I reinstalled most every driver trying to fix the problem.  I finally did one thing I hadn't thought of.  I updated the bios.  Since then I have not had one BSOD, no glitches, nothing.  Smooth as silk.  Give it a try, if you haven't already.

Sparda, I do not remember exactly what it said however if it appears again I will post it.  I remember it was like a Kernel Page Fault Error and was I think a 0x0000007A stop code

Hexicon, I will try updating the bios and see if that helps, thanks!

Well I updated the bios to the latest version from ASUS but no luck, nothing has changed.  As for the BSOD, that was really just a two time thing, it hasnt happened recently since I put in a total of 4 gigs of ram.
Maybe the old(?) ram is bad... memtest!

I can try, but all 4 gigs are less than 2 weeks old, they were just purchased from two different resellers, the first set from newegg, the second set from ebay, both were brand new.  I am really just tempted to put xp 64-bit back on until Vista gains more support for my Vista Certified Motherboard.

I can try, but all 4 gigs are less than 2 weeks old, they were just purchased from two different resellers, the first set from newegg, the second set from ebay, both were brand new.  I am really just tempted to put xp 64-bit back on until Vista gains more support for my Vista Certified Motherboard.

How about leaving those two ebay ships out of the equation. Someone selling them on ebay they might of had bad ram to begin with. Also, are they the same brand and speed? This can make a difference. Try CPU-Z and se ewhat it tell syou about the memory chips info. Also try the mem test. You can usually do this with a lot fo linux live cd's so you don't even have to fully boot the system and can check it without having windows up. this way you don't crash in the middle of the test. If it craps out during the mem test, sell ALL the ram and start with NEW ram and see what happens. Ebay is good for some things, but it's a crap shoot at best.

Well, if it snot the memory, maybe another hardware component, like the HD itself, or cables.

I am starting to think that it may be the hard drives, there are 3 500GB SATA drives installed, the 320GB SATA has vista installed, the 500s are used for data, would it possibly have anything to do with the fact that the 500 gigs were formatted under XP?  I have to unplug them when I install vista because Vista likes to freeze during the installation when I have them installed, these hard drives were used in the old computer with Vista on it and since the case is newer they have a lot better airflow so I don't think they are overheating.

hmm i dont think it would be the storage HDD's crashing then, BSOD is caused with Drivers, and mem allocations. So for it to be one the storage HDD's would only be to do with haivng a Vertual Mem set on them. Though if the problem happens frequently u can try unpluging the storage HDD's run and see if she crashs. Other wise run seatools on ur primary, and check to see if shes got faults.

Also Ebay ram being sealed doesnt mean shes perfect, if i jump ontop of a box full of RAM, and only the top few packages get broken, i can still sell of the rest, doesnt mean there still gonna 100% work.

Ok, about the ebay RAM, removing it did not help at all, the RAM from newegg was the only RAM in the computer from the day I received that until I got the RAM from ebay 3 days later.  I am going to run Memtest tonight on all 4 gigs and see what comes up.  The Newegg ram is in slots 1 and 2, and the ebay ram is in slots 3 and 4 so maybe I can see if the RAM is causing it.  I would really just hate to have to send this RAM back because I have RMA'd several sticks of RAM with newegg in the past month and im sick of it.

As for the memory section of CPU-Z, here is what the dump gave me: (note:  I am not sure what the tRC, tWR settings should be on this ram, the other timings were set manually in the bios because they were automatically configured wrong, so the tRC and tWR may be wrong since I left those set to Auto in the bios; I also think the TRAS should be 12, which it is under one section but not the other)

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type        DDR2
Manufacturer (ID)    Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size            1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth        PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number        CM2X1024-6400C4   
Manufacturing date    Week 23/Year 06

Attributes
Number of banks        2
Data width        64 bits
Correction        None
EPP            yes (1 profiles)

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)        270    400    
CAS#            4.0    5.0    
RAS# to CAS# delay    4    5    
RAS# Precharge        4    5    
TRAS            13    18    
TRC            15    22    

EPP profile 1 (full)
Voltage level        2.100 V
Address Command Rate    2T
Cycle time        2.500 ns (400.0 MHz)
tCL            4.0 clocks
tRCD            4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRP            4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRAS            12 clocks (30.00 ns)
tRC            22 clocks (55.00 ns)
tWR            6 clocks (15.00 ns)

DIMM #2

General
Memory type        DDR2

Attributes
Number of banks        2
Correction        None

Timings table
TRAS            13    18    
TRC            15    22    

EPP profile 1 (full)

DIMM #3

General
Memory type        DDR2

Attributes
Number of banks        2
Correction        None

Timings table
TRAS            13    18    
TRC            15    22    

EPP profile 1 (full)

DIMM #4

General
Memory type        DDR2

Attributes
Number of banks        2
Correction        None

Timings table
TRAS            13    18    
TRC            15    22    

EPP profile 1 (full)

Alright, I ran MemTest in windows and these were the three errors that came up:  1d30b35 to 1d309fd , 5ad1f5e to 5ad1f35 , and 6666345 to 6666158

I was worried that it may be wrong since it was running in windows so I downloaded a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and ran Memtest86 on that and no errors were detected.  I ran the test twice, once with only the RAM from newegg installed, no errors; then once with only the ram i bought off of ebay installed and still no errors.

If windows doesn't like your memory, it won't run right. Run the full, extra boring long test in windows 3 or 4 times and see if you get any more errors popping up. Check that your hardware is 100% compatible, not sure where you would go to do this by it is something to consider. Strip the machine down, and rebuild it 1 bit at a time, testing at each step just in case 1 component is out of whack. If some of the ram is dodgey, you can try and RTM it. If all that fails, sell the bits that work, and go buy a mobo/cpu/ram bundle, boring but safe[er].

Well I booted into safe mode and ran Memtest overnight and no errors in Vista.  I decided that since this motherboard isnt compatible with Vista as it says it is, I sent it back to newegg (I also found out the PCI Slot on it was bad).  So I now have an ASUS P5WDG2 WS PRO Motherboard and its flyin.  It has yet to crash and I am loving it!

Try reinstalling some of your drivers. I have seen a lot of computers trying to use XP drivers and even badly written Vista drivers blue screen when ever they access that particular driver.  Vista's online automated driver search is acctually a lot better then XP's. If your blue screen says something like driver less then equal or something like that then it is a driver. If it isn't then it would prabably mean it isn't your drivers.