Rar Password Cracker

Brennan

I forgot a password for one of my rar files and I need to get it back. I did search for a password cracker and all it comes up with is either RAR Password Cracker or Atomic RAR Password Recovery. I really don't want to spend money to crack my own file. And was wondering if anyone knew a free password cracker

Can't you create another rar file with a different password and hex edit the one to match the other?(so long as they are the same password length)

I know some passworded programs store it in the same place in the file, like in the last so many bytes of the file, and you can defeat the password by creating another file and just hex editing it, copy it from one to the other. I don't know the mechanizm for RAR's password creation but if its similar in the way it stores it, it should be defeatable, in theory.

I remember someone doing this with steghide and jpegs by recreating an image using abc as the password and then hexing out the orginal and putting in the one they created, and getting the hidden message in the image this way.

The password is used to encrypt the data of the files inside the archive. It doesn't work like a user account password on (say) windows. Such a method would be completely useless for an archive.

So its more of a salt than simply a stored string in the file. Makes more sense as it would pobably be easily defeated otherwise....

The password is used to encrypt the data of the files inside the archive. It doesn't work like a user account password on (say) windows. Such a method would be completely useless for an archive.

So its more of a salt than simply a stored string in the file. Makes more sense as it would pobably be easily defeated otherwise....

It's not really a salt, it's an encryption key.