OpenBSD. The install from hell! - Need help getting Flash for Mozilla on OpenBSD

digip

First off, yes, I am a n00b when it comes to Linux or any flavor there of.

Just installed OpenBSD in vmware. It was fun to learn how to install it, but not so much that I would recommend it for someone new to linux or installing directly over the internet. Took me a few hours to figure out how to get fdisk to work and create a partition(still have no cdrom access in mnt?? er, do not know how to mount the cdrom) and then installed the base. Just getting passed that might seem trivial to most users, but I am used to cfdisk or fdisk from dos(windows 98, etc).

Just figured out how to put Gnome and GDM on there. I am now writing on the forums from within Mozilla using the Gnome Desktop.

I want to install flash for mozilla, but it comes in a zipped file, and I am having trouble figuring out how to unpack it. I tried gunzip but it just turned it into a tar file. How do I untar or unzip the tar file? I looked for a version of a winrar equivalent for linux but did not find anything so far and I know there is probably something built in to do it but I lack the terminology and commands.

Any help(even flames) would be usefull. Do  I need to add something for tar files, a packages/binary,etc, or is there something built into OpenBSD to unpack a tar file by default?

Yeah, UbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntuUbuntu...We get it. :)

OpenBSD was a bitch to install, but thats only because I have never done it before. Once it was finished, it seemed rather trivial afterwards. I am testing it in vmware, as I wanted to see how it works before putting it on a real pc. The more I can learn about this sort of stuff the better. I could have unzipped it in windows and then just uploaded the files to OpenBSD, but that kind of defeats the purpose of learning my way around this OS.

Start reading here.

For this particular batch of questions:

- Untarring a file

tar -xf <file>

- Mounting the CDRom device

Run the 'dmesg' program to see the stuff that scrolled across the screen at bootup once more (you'll probably want to pipe it through more, so the command is probably more like 'dmesg | more') and find the place where he detects your cdrom. Chances are you'll see the kernel specify the device name of the cdrom. You'll then find this name in /dev

To then mount it, you need to become root, and then type 'mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/cd0a /mnt/cdrom' where cd0a is the name of the cdrom device.

Please read the manual pages for the commands I gave. That mounting examplle was actually given in the man page of the mount command...

Start reading here.

For this particular batch of questions:

- Untarring a file

tar -xf <file>

- Mounting the CDRom device

Run the 'dmesg' program to see the stuff that scrolled across the screen at bootup once more (you'll probably want to pipe it through more, so the command is probably more like 'dmesg | more') and find the place where he detects your cdrom. Chances are you'll see the kernel specify the device name of the cdrom. You'll then find this name in /dev

To then mount it, you need to become root, and then type 'mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/cd0a /mnt/cdrom' where cd0a is the name of the cdrom device.

Please read the manual pages for the commands I gave. That mounting examplle was actually given in the man page of the mount command...

Oh, good deal Cooper. I'll give them a try! Thank you!!

Well, apparently it does not like OpenBSD:

ERROR: Your operating system is not supported by the

Adobe Flash Player installer.

There must be a way to get it to work, but I will search a little more for this on my own..thanks Cooper.

The easiest way to get it to work on FreeBSD (redoubtably OpenBSD will be the same) is to enable Linux binary support then use the linux flash player.

Yeah, can't seem to find "linux_lib-2.4.tgz" anywhere to enable it. I also don;t know if it will work, since my rc.conf file did not contain linux_enable = yes or no. I added it to the file, but since I don't have the linux_lib file(google returns only the freebsd site, and I could not find it on their ftp) I have no way to test it. I found: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Linux+FreeBSD.html giving instructions on how to do it under FreeBSD. I guess that is what you were referring to? I did find something called gnash, but have yet to isntall it. Its a stand alone flash player with plugin for Firefox on OpenBSD, so I may give it a go and see what happens. I am using Mozilla, so it should work on there(I hope) since it's what Firefox is based on.

With FreeBSD you are prompted when installing if you want Linux binary support. if you choose it install it it does every thing for you. If, on the other hand, you choose not to but decide you need it you have to install a base Linux system (the fedora core 4/6 base is conviniently available) through ports.

Thanks. adding fedora base now and will see if I can then get Opera working as well. I prefer it over Firefox anyway, so this would be cool if it allows me to use it as well.