Changing the default keyboard layout

daedalus

Hello.  I recently bought a new gateway laptop.  It has Vista home premium installed on it.

The thing I hate most about the computer is the keyboard configuration.  Instead of the CTRL - FN - WINKEY - ALT - SPACE configuration, this new computer has a FN - CTRL at the bottom left.  This makes simple cut and paste operations very awkward.  I have learned to bear with it, but it is still a hassle and I have trouble when I use my Linux box which is configured with the CTRL key first.

Does anyone know of something free I could use to switch the FN and CTRL keys?

daedalus

That's what I was thinking, but I'm hoping for some simple software that could switch the two around for me.

I have an external (Dvorak) keyboard that has the correct key placement, but it's a hassle to carry around with a laptop.

daedalus

That's what I was thinking, but I'm hoping for some simple software that could switch the two around for me.

The operating system doesn't know when the fn key is pressed. It can't be done in software. If your feeling adventurous you could open up the keyboard and switch around the wiring between the keys.