Worried About Heat of My Routers, What Should I Do?

hsncorrosion

My Wireless, Wired, and Network hub all seem to be getting very hot, I am now running a ShoutCast server (1 stream to another server elsewhere) which is always on. The hub and router have been on as well as the server for about 1 year. The only time they have ever been off is during power outages or a quick shutdown to clear out the memory. What should I do about my overhearing routers? The wireless router seems way too hot and I've only had it for 2 months. So what would cause this and how can I fix it. I do not want them to burn up and spend $150 dollars or so to replace it.

Is there any king of cooling systems available for this kind of problem?

If they have adequate ventilation they're fine. My router gets pretty hot sitting on the top of the desk, but it hasn't failed in over a year of doing so. Hell, my beater laptop gets super hot and runs constantly, and hasn't failed me yet. It's roughly 7 years old to boot.

do not place set router in front of Fire, Windows, naked flames (or men), or in air ducts (its been done b4  :x) and she should be fine, make sure that shes getting air flow, and only worry if ur cat goes to sleep on it, or it starts to fail.

ya, stacking them will do that, also, putting them on top of hot object, (like a crt monitor) will get them to heat up more. to be honest, although they are designed to run hot, i find that they run better cold, and have had a couple get hot enough to crash. ( it was a really bad summer, and they were in direct sunlight from window) heat will not be likely to kill them, but as with all chips, heat reduces lifespan. and also: cooler chips run faster, and everybody likes faster chips....

so if you want to add cooling, you could check the power supply for you router (should be a AC-DC transformer, that steps down to like 9-12 volts)

as long as it is betwen 6-12 volts, you can splice into it to run a computer fan. just shave off some insulator from each wire, and solder your wires onto them. (right polarity if you will)

if you dont have a large cooling vent on you equipment that you can conviently allow fan to blow air into, then dremel youself up one.

if noise is a problem just add some resistors in series into the fan circuit. the amount of resistance depends on how quite you want your fans and what you source voltage is.

i have done this to a wrt54G, it now works fine, and i like to think its faster, it probably is, but not noticably. what i will notice is added lifespan.