Need help with fedora core six

bommaboy2789

hi i may as well start with saying that im not the worlds greatest with computers (hell i can't even get linux working :sad: lol) but i don know a bit. Im using my old PC that we got ages ago. it came with windows 98, since then it has had upgrades like ram... but not alot, a fews years back now we upgraded it to windows 2k and earlier this year we got a new PC so that one went up stairs in the attic for a few months... until my friend told me about a linux distro in DSE so i went and dusted off my old PC and put it in my bedroom. As you prolly got from the title of this post the distro was fedora core 6 i went out after a while and got it, loaded it onto the computer and the install went fine but now when i turn it on it goes through all the normal things then goes to this...

Fedora Core release 6 (zod)

Kernel 2.6.18-1.2789.fc6 on an i686

localhoast login:

after the localhoast bit it asks for a pass word. I'm not sure if this is something i put on but i can't get past it and it really bugs me.

Any one know how to get past it, any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Dude... It's a _login_.

What you're basically saying is that you forgot the usernames and/or passwords you provided during the install?

as far as i know i didn't provide any passwords in install... and i sure as hell tried  every pass word i have!!! so im a bit confused any way to hack the pass or get past it?

Step one read the documentation see if it gives you a default password

Step two reinstall and this time remember the password you give it... it's a fresh install so a reformat will be a faster way to fix the problem and that way you won't have to worry about it... 

If you can't reinstall it I'm going to think you're trying to break into someone else's box.

Not every question can been answered with Ubuntu, in fact, pretty much all of them can't.

Ok, Whats a Linux distro that starts with "U" and ends in "U"?

Utriqu ... yea I know that's not a real distro... but give it a few weeks

DW guys ubuntu shuld rule the world it got it and no more problems!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Ubuntu 1 - Fedora Core nill :D

I have been using FC6 and Ubuntu and on the face they seem the same(both using Gnome). I don't work with Linux enough to tell the difference, but they both seem to be working fine for me, granted, its in VMware and a lot easier to test it there than on some old box with out dated hardware and no drivers(still can't get anything to work properly wth my ATI Rage Pro - VESA compatible 800x600 at 16bit seems to be the limit for some reason, anything higher gives me funky squiggle lines and I have to reboot and edit xorg.conf again)

Not every question can been answered with Ubuntu, in fact, pretty much all of them can't.

Ok, Whats a Linux distro that starts with "U" and ends in "U"?

Utriqu ... yea I know that's not a real distro... but give it a few weeks

I'm still waiting.... Oh Utriqu where are you?

Guest requiemnoise

DW guys ubuntu shuld rule the world it got it and no more problems!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Ubuntu 1 - Fedora Core nill :D

I hear you... apt-get is damn powerful.

Guest requiemnoise
yea, my first dive into linux was fedora core also, but I quickly moved on to bigger and better things, like

Mandriva linux!  Try it!

Actually, PCLINUX 2007's core is Mandriva and it is done so much better if you love GUI configurations.

Guest requiemnoise

fix your password issue.

mount the filesystem with a live linux cd.

mount the / filesystem using the livecd

# chroot to the filesystem

# cd /etc

# vi passwd

and edit the root password. leave it blank. leave the userid and groupid number alone.

Scroll down to the line containing the root user’s information, which looks something like

root::483848*&*^&^*&^:12581:0:99999:7:::

Delete everything between the first and second colons, so that the line looks like

root::12581:0:99999:7:::

# vi shadow

and edit the root password. leave it blank. leave the userid and groupid number alone.

Delete everything between the first and second colons, so that the line looks like

reboot.

at the login prompt.

type root and press enter.

you are in.

"passwd root"

and put a new password

Oh, this isn't hacking...

fix your password issue.

mount the filesystem with a live linux cd.

mount the / filesystem using the livecd

# chroot to the filesystem

# cd /etc

# vi passwd

Scroll down to the line containing the root user’s information, which looks something like

# vi shadow

reboot.

at the login prompt.

type root and press enter.

you are in.

"passwd root"

and put a new password

Oh, this isn't hacking...

Yes it is, creative solution to a problem.  Hacking at it's best