Is DRM doomed?

Sparda

Not so much a question, more of a discussion point.

I will buy CDs (obviously, no DRM at all, yay!), I will buy DVD (essentially no DRM). I am never going to buy a HD-DVD or BluRay movie for fairly obvious reason (it's not becasue the hardware is particularly expensive).

Will the DRM go away (please some one, make it stop!! :cry:)?

it wont go away until people boycott DRM content

DRM is the reason why many new tv's and hd dvd and bluray players cost so much.

HDCP seems to be a part of it and encrypts everything up to the tv. playing this content will require a lot more processing power of any hardware handling it (this will make the hardware cost more)

boycott all forms of DRM  and prices will go down.

DRM is one of those big 'clusterfucks' that just sit there leeching away at technology like, well, like a leech.

its honestly just about the worst attempt at  managing digital rights i have ever seen.

and i personally boycott DRM, but i also slander them too.

one should not be satisfied with mere boycotting.

Any estimates as to when we will have no choice but to by HDCPed hardware?

Somewhere between yesterday and last month I presume. Can you even BUY a non-HDPC LCD screen today? A lot of stuff will refuse to play nice with such devices already.

I wonder who really profits form DRM  (it doesnt seem to be the creators of the content being protected)

just recently this happened http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9674.cfm

if the courts allow this, who will profit.

microsoft and all the other big companies will be forced top pay MRT insane amounts of money to DRM their own content that they don't even want DRMed    DRM is just a business and people are in it to make money, they could care less about anyone else, as long as they get their paycheck

I wonder who really profits form DRM  (it doesnt seem to be the creators of the content being protected)

just recently this happened http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9674.cfm

if the courts allow this, who will profit.

microsoft and all the other big companies will be forced top pay MRT insane amounts of money to DRM their own content that they don't even want DRMed    DRM is just a business and people are in it to make money, they could care less about anyone else, as long as they get their paycheck

Well, I don't think they'll win to be honest.

I think DRM is doomed..

I mean it's faulty to begin with. The shit will get hacked and modded. I mean come on now... Try making something undo-able, and someone rises to make it do-able...

fucked by design. is  what i say..