Downloading files

Razor512

My friend is at college and over there, they block almost everything.  (and just like me, he likes anime)

he wants to be able to download a new episode of a anime show every week but the school prevents that from happening so I am usually stuck using the file transfer in trillian to send him the episodes. (this can get very annoying for both of us)

I was wondering if there was a way for him to give me access to his C:Documents and SettingsUser NameDesktop folder where i can just send the files directly to him  (he usually saves the videos to his desktop and deletes them after watching)

Well, if he has an externally accessible IP then he can set up an FTP server to allow you to upload a file there. If he doesn't then he's going to have to initiate the connection, so you could set up an FTP server (or an HTTP server) and he could download it from there.

he tried setting up one before and I was never able to connect to it.

he cant even connect to normal multiplayer game servers.

but today i was able to get him to try Hamachi and it connected with no problem and I was able to vs him in battlefield 2

(his college is really annoying, there are  many other wireless networks available but they all  are using WPA  (I tried all of them and none of my dictionary attacks worked)

I normally use logmein on the computers of family and friends as I keep all of their computers up to date and fix problems  but logmein doesnt allow me to transfer files  so I am usually stuck uploading to yousendit or mediafire  then downloading with the other computer (can get really annoying)

one thing that I really wanted to do was to create a shared folder on his pc then use a hamachi like program to connect to the shared folder   

the main problem is that he doesnt want run much extra since just like me, he uses his PC for gaming

yep thats the first thing we tried. probably tried over 100 different proxies

they allowed him to go on all needed websites but did nothing for downloading torrents (i think the proxy servers block torrents)

PS the college uses a proxy  (usually when using the internet at the college, you have to go into your browser settings and just add 8080 for the proxy server ( no name needed) and that allows you to surf the web. (with out it, no web pages load ) 

If you have a computer not being used currently you could set up a Linux distro with a SSH server running.  Then he could use a ssh client that supports file transfer on windows, or sshfs if on a linux box

but today i was able to get him to try Hamachi and it connected with no problem and I was able to vs him in battlefield 2

So, clearly, yes.

So, clearly, yes.

I am sorry, i an using dial-up right now so things havn't loaded right.

• 2 months later...

why doesnt he use a bootable cd to download the episode you wanna get? then once he gets it then tell him to upload the file to a ftp server, if he does not have a ftp server tell him to create an account in www. bluetie. com once he creates the account "for free" he will have 5 gb available to upload anything he wants to his acccount, it also gives you an email account and you can even add 5 more people to your domain it is a great service and it is for free, then once he uploads the episode to his account tell him to add you  to his domain and tell him to share his files that he will have in his account.  after that all you would have toi do is to log in in your account that he will give you and bang all you would have to do is to download the file to your computer.

this is very handy, after that you will be able to share files through bluetie just upload the file to your account and share the file in your account to the other members of the domain and they will be able to download the file in their computers.

i hope i could help you.  i am new in this forum but i got a little experience in the computer field ;-)

I know some "hacker" ways you chould do this. but it involves disabling his Firewall and Basicly opening his computerm so not only you but everybody who has his IP to acsess his computer. aka hackers. and one person nobody wants in there computer. Vedex. if you dont know him dont worry about it.

I know some "hacker" ways you chould do this. but it involves disabling his Firewall and Basicly opening his computerm so not only you but everybody who has his IP to acsess his computer. aka hackers. and one person nobody wants in there computer. Vedex. if you dont know him dont worry about it.
I would like to know what would you suggest?

...and one person nobody wants in there computer. Vedex. if you dont know him dont worry about it.

This isn't that sort of site/show/community, we don't want anything to do with anyone who's supposed to have a reputation for being feared.