Anyone know of an automated windows xp tweaker?

ChevronX

Anyone know of an automated windows xp tweaker?

I am a computer technician & I want to have an easy automated way to tweak windows for better security & usability.

Does anyone know of an automated way to do this?

Not sure I fully understand your question, but do you mean, over a network, or at the physical machine? You could always create a batch script with all the settings you want and run it on the machine, or if its over a network, add it to their start up and have it run off of a network share.You can also use the group policy editor, but I am not sure how you would implement that over a network. (gpedit.msc to have a look). Group policy enforcment can do things like block certain functions of the pc, giving users limited access rights and control of the machine, as well as lock them out of internet explorer functions, or set them as you want and they can't edit them. It wouldn't stop them from using a different browser, but I think you can block them from isntalling media via cdrom and usb if they don't have admin privledges.

hmm, i dont think a lot of ppl are with u on this one, do u mean like a 1 click PC tweaker, or a rollout function? for the 1 click, i mean like tweak what u want then make it into somethink like a batch file, or Exe.

Depending on the scenario you could use nLite to create a custom, and to some extent, preconfigured Windows installation to pop in the drive and walk away from... on the downside, this does require reinstalling.

Depending on the scenario you could use nLite to create a custom, and to some extent, preconfigured Windows installation to pop in the drive and walk away from... on the downside, this does require reinstalling.

Wouldn't there be a way to export pre set settings(reg tweaks, services, group policy, etc) into one batch file or stream of batch and reg files or even an executable.

...gives me idea for tweak utility which saves current system settings to export to other machines... :idea:

There is always Tweakui, but I don't think it gives a lot of security options. Its more for the layout interface and some Internet Explorer stuff that can be done already in GPEdit. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx (Page doen for Tweak UI)

Someone shoul dmake a version of it that records security settings and lets you export them to other windows boxes base don your custom tweaks.

hmm, i would say, troll through a few a Tweaking sites, and record the reg edits, as well as run a few progs and monitor the changed that they make, then export thoughs keys and link em to the Batch.