1. 1.

• 128mb
    • 256mb
    • 512mb
    • 768mb
    • 1024mb
    • 2048mb
    • More

I like to run at least a gig in all my boxes, I do have a few older machines with less, they are used as firewalls or MAME boxes and I have some old laptops that get used for Asterisk, MAME, Web servers or whatever when I go to hacker con’s or to my local LUG meetings.

I gave 8 of my old desktops that I installed Debian and Asterisk on to a computer club at a school my girl friend works at and they all had 512mb.

160MB in my PC that I use as a PVR, thats enough for MythTV, too bad it's running windows media center :(

You’re the only person I have ever seen that would even think of running windows media centre on anything less then 256mb but most people would not use anything less then 512mb.

I wanted to use MythTV, but i discoved my card wasn't supported by it (even though it has a linux driver that works... kind of...), and so it had to be windows media center... at least untill MythTV supports my card. Btw. To compensate, i'v disabled stuff I don't want or need and given windows a heafy 1024MB of pagefile, with media center animations and sounds disabled it runs resonably quick. There is some slow down when initiating Live TV, but it's not too bad.

It has a 600MHz P3 btw.

Anything over 2-4GB slows games down.

Wasn't that only true for Intel boxes because they, being 32-bit, can only address at most 4 gigs directly, and need to use tricks (which will obviously take longer) to go beyond that. A 64-bit machine should be able to cope without any ill effects. Question is, how many people run 64-bit games on a 64-bit OS to not get bitten by this...?

Anything over 2-4GB slows games down.

Wasn't that only true for Intel boxes because they, being 32-bit, can only address at most 4 gigs directly, and need to use tricks (which will obviously take longer) to go beyond that. A 64-bit machine should be able to cope without any ill effects. Question is, how many people run 64-bit games on a 64-bit OS to not get bitten by this...?

:shock: :? So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?