Commandline/DOS encryption tool needed... Anyone got any pointers...

plastix

Hi all  :)

I'd really appreciate any input with a standalone tool I am developing (my coding skills are pretty weak - using VB6).  This tool needs to encrypt some text +/- files, ideally using something like AES or Twofish.  The target systems may be running any flavor of Windows (95-XP) and the user will not have Admin rights, and won't be able to write to registry / modify system files / register activex components etc.

Does anyone know of any (ideally open-source / freeware) commandline / console tools (or better still self-managed DLLs that don't need registering) that will take a passed string-password+/-salt and return encrypted string (and vice versa) ?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.  TIA

:roll:

@Horza: Thanks for reply. That code uses the ChilkatCrypt2 component - and looking at the VB design is manipulating a crypto object from that library, so it looks like it is an ActiveX component and will need registering, which I won't have rights to do... Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it.

Also, just to preempt - don't want to use the Windows crypt system as can be pretty weak on older systems.

Thanks again.

What you see on that page is what is contained in their zipped file. It doesn't provide any source code for the actual Encryption. It only contains a form with the code listed on the page. It would require a module or seperate resource file to attache to the project and they don't provide it with this project. I think it was meant as an outline of the procedure, but there is nothing to do the encryption.

He would need their "ChilkatCrypt2" active-x file in order for it to work.

EDIT: Seems I was too slow in posting, as his post showed up right before mine. Wasn't there when hit reply though...

What you see on that page is what is contained in their zipped file. It doesn't provide any source code for the actual Encryption. It only contains a form with the code listed on the page. It would require a module or seperate resource file to attache to the project and they don't provide it with this project. I think it was meant as an outline of the procedure, but there is nothing to do the encryption.

He would need their "ChilkatCrypt2" active-x file in order for it to work.

EDIT: Seems I was too slow in posting, as his post showed up right before mine. Wasn't there when hit reply though...

All the library files and components are in the Download section of that site. Although I just realised they're only 30 day evaluations.

Haven't downloaded it yet(need to make a new account as I forget what I used to login with) but you might want to try :

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scrip...00&lngWId=1

Or search their site. Lots of code examples and whatever they don't have on their site the authors sometimes point you to where the rest of the source or dll's can be found.

@Horza: Thanks for reply. That code uses the ChilkatCrypt2 component - and looking at the VB design is manipulating a crypto object from that library, so it looks like it is an ActiveX component and will need registering, which I won't have rights to do... Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it.

Also, just to preempt - don't want to use the Windows crypt system as can be pretty weak on older systems.

Thanks again.

Also http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scrip...06&lngWId=1

Edit: Heh, same site.

Edit 2: And for some reason I don't seem to need to login to download from there.

Thanks all.

I think the second example is using the Windows inbuilt crypto API via CAPICOM - which uses pretty reasonable levels if its CAPICOM 2 (I think)... can't find any useful guides on MSDN...

Will the CryptAPI support 256bit AES on a vanilla (default) install of Win98 ? If so, then this will work nicely. If not, then I can use it for OS's that support 256bit AES using this API - and look for something to work on older / not supported systems (something in the back of my mind tells me that older OS's will only support 40bit etc functions...)

If anyone has info to hand I'd appreciate it. TIA  :)

Also http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scrip...06&lngWId=1

Edit: Heh, same site.

Edit 2: And for some reason I don't seem to need to login to download from there.

They used to block multiple downloads if you werent logged on. I think after the first download they would block any further from your ip address until your logged in. Haven't used the site in so long I didn't even bother to try and download the zip file as the last time I was there it asked me to logon to get the file. Havent used them in about 2 years or so, Oh well..