DIY FM Transmitter

911alertme

Part of the circuit would be a small amplifier for the microphone I'd imagine but unfortunately I can't remember enough about electronics to tell you which part... you could replace the mic with a mono 3.5mm plug and send it some audio that way but you'd have to really keep the output of the source dfown very low... *very* low... a headphone jack outputs a lot more (even turned down very, very low) than a micorphone will so it would probably sound distorted and loud. It would be mono, and it wouldn't sound good, but it would work enough to get it to a radio.

It might be easier to find a schematic specifically designed for stereo and/or to take a headphone/line in input.

The ratio of voltage from the microphone against an ordinary audio source could end up being quite crazy - beyond the realm of what's possible simply by turning the volume down.

As moonlit said, it would be best to find a dedicated circuit, without having to try and alter one...

Edited by TheMadProff

So if I had the volume super low on my iPod it might work?  I Googled it and only found this one thing but it didn't have instructionshttp://www.volunteerlabrat.com/default.htm...to=fmtrans.html.  What if I created 2, one for right and one for left sound and outputted it to the same antenna?  Could it work?  I assume the quality would be bad.  Does anybody know of some stereo ones?

It also depends on the type of microphone they've used in the circuit.

Some microphone capsules need a voltage bias (i.e. the pin of the actual microphone element that isn;t ground has to be held at a certain voltage), which I doubt would play nicely with any audio device connected in the microphone's place...

Edited by TheMadProff

No, it still wouldn't work, as the way they send the data along the wires is different. A lot of mics change the capacitance, where as sound cable carrying audio (not from Mics) normally change the current...

I hope this helps...  :?

But shouldn't a changing capacitance should yield a changing current over time?

For a Capacitor:

I(t) = C * dV(t)/dt

I(t) = current over time

V(t) = voltage over time

For stereo, you'd need a way to get two input channels and transmit them in the right way.  Here's how stereo FM broadcasting works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_radio#FM_stereo