You != Hackling; You == ??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good collective name would be the Hak5 cluster, meaning that hak5 isnt just darren, wess and alli, its a community effort, we all play our part in the making of hak5. I'm fine with hakling myself. 

When creating a new name keep this in mind:

djoek: This is vaguely reminiscant of the Trekkies versus Trekkers debate.

djoek: Oh and btw, what kind of a gay-ass discussion is this?

I don't hear anyone complaining they're in the TWiT army.  Personally, i'd prefer being a -ling then a private for Leo.  Or a soldier in any war.

Who are they fighting?  Army sounds soo wrong.

Cooper: "Hakasses"

And yeah, I don't get what the fuss is about needing to figure out a new name for Haklings. As far as I'm concerned, it works.

The word doesn't signify a group like some others (army, town, universe, nation, force, union, party, organisation) which I rather like as it would make you sound pretentious. It gets even worse when you know the actual scale of the group, and find out it's really not as big as the name would suggest (TKAF is less than 20, isn't it?).

The above pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. But then again.... i remember being one of the ones saying 'don't call me a hackling or I will kill you' people :) How about *vagabonds*. ...well who says a name has to have 'hak' in it :)

I'd like to know though, what brought this on Darren? Was it an irc discussion i missed, an epiphany, alien influence, roofie influence, scooby snacks or booze?

If not try a combination of the above (roofies, scooby snacks, booze and some sort of alien influence) and im sure you could come up with something. But don't let it be said I don't do anything for 'the community', this weekend I will 'research' a name using said aids. mm booze, scooby snacks and roofies I can get a hold off..but where to find an alien influence....

I'm still on the fence about it. Part of me thinks its stupid, but part of me whats a cool name to use to start off Hak5Live, "Welcome <name> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

At this point I'm thinking Hackers just works because, well, who in the community isn't a hacker? You can't really take offense to being called one, especially the way we read the term. No, we're not talking about the same hackers you see in the media or Hollywood, I'm talking about the oldschool sense of the word. And the term doesn't tie one to Hak5 alone.

So, the ones that stuck with me are:

Hakizens

Hak.nation

Hackers

Hak-Fu ( You could form a leveling structure around this one. Hak.fu noob, Hak.fu Master, etc..)

I'm leaning toward Hak.Fu (too bad there isn't a .FU TLD)

just my 2cents

Ok how about Hak5 Association of Leetness HAL for short and then add a # at the end = number of members? Current members 4,575 and I also like the Clustor. I never had a problem with Hakling it was just a rank indicating the # of posts hakling, hakfan, etc

"Welcome <name> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

I think if we all start posting the replies with :"Welcome <name> to Hak5Live, the show where we..." inserting our phrases one of them is bound to make sense and feel like home. Hackling allways works and so does Hacker, so I am thinking its got to be as simple as a one word phrase.

"Welcome <phracksters> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <hamsters> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <HakFu-Bots> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <Hakbots> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <Techbots> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <Technits> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <Technuts> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <Mad Hatters> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Welcome <....> to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

"Hakaholics"

I second that!

"Welcome Hakaholics to Hak5Live, the show where we..."

Gotta nice ring to it.

We're addicted to hakahol?

I think he meant we're addicted to Hak5 (or hacking in general).

:shock:

forget i said anything

Cats out of the bag....