You != Hackling; You == ??

Ok so first off my deepest apologies for ever using the term "hackling". It was funny and cute but we soon realized how it made some feel and we were in no way trying to insult the audience.

That said, we're coming up on a new era for Hak5 and I've been thinking about the community a lot. And while we're the only community in existance to have a sophistocated group of admins and moderators honored with the title "Thunder Kitten Assault Force" there isn't a good name for the everygeek.

Maybe it's not important and maybe it's just a little twit army or peoples of buzztown envy here but what do you guys think? What's a kickass name for the uberleet community members here, or is it even important? Technolusters? Eh?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw anything wrong with hackling.. just another name for 'noob' (as in someone new, not meaning to be deragotory)

Hackling doesn't mean n00b to me though. Hackling just means young hacker to me.  Youth does not always mean they are n00bs. There are plenty of 14 year olds who could probably pwn half of us if given the chance.

Are you looking for a new form of hackling to infer "elder" hacker? Or more "experienced" geek or hacker or just the "Leet" of the crop?

Maybe something like the "Hak-fu Army" or  Hak-a-nauts (like astronaut). Just some ideas.

Maybe compile a list of the top ideas and then have a poll to vote on the top five names. Top vote count being announced at the beginning of the next season (in order to give people time to come up with names and the time to vote on the list).

I mean, if we are going to name the community ourselves, I think we need to give it a good long time to fester so we pick an appropriate title and not some quick pick on a whim. While it might not be important to some people, since it is just a title like Leet or Lamer, it does unite our community and give us that feeling of being a part of something bigger than the everyday norm. The Hak5 community has become sort of like a second family in many ways. Even the bickering can be compared to sibling rivalry and is always in good nature, even if the jabs to sting from time to time.

An official "Hackalite" title or something would also make a nice tshirt for the Hak5 army to wear and show our colors. (/note to self, still need to get my hak5 tee from jinx)

Fami -Check Out Analog.5 (WE NEED WRITERS!) Your link needs to be updated.

Short of "New Member", there is no potentially confusing/offensive/scary title.

Totally valid

While it might not be important to some people, since it is just a title like Leet or Lamer, it does unite our community and give us that feeling of being a part of something bigger than the everyday norm

Valid too..

Naw, you lie. Where would it point?

Maybe just post the Email for submissions and the site mirrors until the Wiki is fixed.

I'm an obedient and loyal minion of the Evil Server.

All other titles come, at best, second to this.

And yeah, I don't get what the fuss is about needing to figure out a new name for Haklings. As far as I'm concerned, it works.

The word doesn't signify a group like some others (army, town, universe, nation, force, union, party, organisation) which I rather like as it would make you sound pretentious. It gets even worse when you know the actual scale of the group, and find out it's really not as big as the name would suggest (TKAF is less than 20, isn't it?).

But if we must, how's this one: Hak.5 Allegiance of Kindred Spirits, or HAKS for short. Yeah, even I'm violating the group thing with Allegiance, but at least we keep the Hak bit.

I'm an obedient and loyal minion of the Evil Server.

All other titles come, at best, second to this.

And yeah, I don't get what the fuss is about needing to figure out a new name for Haklings. As far as I'm concerned, it works.

The word doesn't signify a group like some others (army, town, universe, nation, force, union, party, organisation) which I rather like as it would make you sound pretentious. It gets even worse when you know the actual scale of the group, and find out it's really not as big as the name would suggest (TKAF is less than 20, isn't it?).

But if we must, how's this one: Hak.5 Allegiance of Kindred Spirits, or HAKS for short. Yeah, even I'm violating the group thing with Allegiance, but at least we keep the Hak bit.

HAKS is pretty cool as long as the intent or context is in persepctive. Someone calling us a bunch of haks might have a negative meaning depending on how it is used or who said it.

I was thinking just a catchy phrase that the guys could address us as when dong the show. This is why Hackling always sounded good to me because it was like they make the viewers part of the show by addressing us as hacklings when they do a segment.

I actually liked Hackling personally.

However, whoever said Hak-Fu Army , that is awesome!

Technolusters works too.

Thank you for the Hak-fu compliment....

I too have no problem with hackling, it's like getting called a n00b in WoW, if you can't take it and you whine you get looked down upon even more. That said, the word makes me think of the word Zergling, from Starcraft.. now who didn't love those guys? :)

here you go, hakzombie for us ustream people, lol

or hakfan

p.s. what were you planing on doing with the crak5.org domain you purchased that night we were goofing off and were obsesed with crack?

I know "WOG" is taken by SKTFMTV but it kind of defines what he stands for. We need that kind of a title that reperesents us. Hackling really does fit that purpose, cheasy or not, it works. Like I said, offer up the names and lets vote and then see what gets the most posts at the next season.

What of there were two factions? Like Jedi and Sith. Black Hats and White hats. Obviously there are those on here who also consider themselves above the whole hackling title. It depends on how each person defines hackling and what it means to be a part of the Hak5 community.

I don't really like the idea of a collective name for us, and I think all of the suggestions so far are pretty awful anyway. Also, not WOG please.

Edit: Also are people forgetting Hackling was only a post rank for newish posters? There are really 2 different discussions going on here.