The Landlord

digip

If she were my kid I would wash her mouth out with soap, and then take her out back and beat her for drinking beer... :-P

first off.... HUH?!? you would beat your 3-5 year old child for drinking something that you drink all the time?

and on a topic note "buried as lame"

Yes. SmoothCriminal was joking obviously, but actually I have a bigger problem with the idea that adults can swear but children can't. I don't understand what parents are trying to eliminate in their child. To start with, children do swear, a lot. I know I was swearing by the time I was 6 at the latest (and I mean words like fuck and shit), but I knew not to swear around adults and I knew they were taboo words, if parents think children don't know that then they're idiots. I don't know if they think if they can stop their children swearing it will maintain their innocence or something, or that they can make them better people by stopping them swearing (or stopping them swearing in front of them).

People swear, it's a fact of life, and language tends to be one of the things that is affected by one's peers far more than one's parents, and whether a person swears actually tells you very little about whether someone is a good person or not, or about their ability to use language in my experience. Shakespeare swore in his plays (both overtly and not so overtly, e.g. "Do you think I meant country matters?") and he is usually regarded as one of the greatest word smiths ever.

Oh, and I preferred the emoticons that came with SMF.

But there is a time and a place for swearing.You see people who haven't been brought up to use curse words correctly, they usually use the word "fuck" or a derivative in *every* sentence. Even in the bank or at during an interview. You have to know when to swear to use the word properly. Parents bring up there children idealistically, you cannot fault them for this, but the real world sets in and you have to find a happy medium. So swearing as a child is a bad thing from the parents point of view.

I'll let you choose emotion sets.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that setting, lovely.

Edit: And people who don't know or don't care when swearing is appropriate are usually idiots, and not knowing when to use profanity is usually the least of their problems.

When I was young my dad used to take off his shoe and hit me on the ass with it. And in retrospect for the most part I'm glad he did. Rest assured, I'm planning on doing the same kind of thing when I have kids of my own.

When I was young my dad used to take off his shoe and hit me on the ass with it. And in retrospect for the most part I'm glad he did. Rest assured, I'm planning on doing the same kind of thing when I have kids of my own.

Did he wear golf shoes with metal spikes?

Did he wear golf shoes with metal spikes?

Well, there's a rather noticable crack with a hole in the middle back there, but I don't think he's responsible for that...

My Grandpa was a belt kind of guy (from the old country), my grandma would threaten me with a wooden spoon (that thing hurt), my dad would just slap me (simple but quite effective), and my mom stayed out of the corporal punishment area (talk about bad parenting from my mom!).