Excessive thread locking

jool

This is not about any specific thread but rather more about something I feel I've seen more and more lately. I just wanted to address it and see what others think about it. Reading through the post before posting it I realize that it is influenced a bit by some other forums as well but I still think applies here.

I feel that threads are being locked for no real reason and I think it should stop. Locking threads because they go off topic or because the thread starter requests it for some other reason is just excessive moderation. If someone is intentionally/repeatedly threadjacking just to be disruptive something should be done to reprimand that user instead of just locking the threads, if it is just a conversation that goes off topic by itself I see no reason to intervene.

Locking duplicate threads after pointing in the right direction and flaming about the search is OK if it's caught early, but if it is already a page or two long that isn't the same it isn't really a duplicate thread anymore even if it started out the same and should not be locked.

The only reasons to lock a thread should be when a thread becomes really hostile and people need to cool down, but do recognize that there is a difference between a heated debate and real hostility.

I guess I just don't like the idea of someone being able to come in and basically say "conversation over, stfu!" without (what I see as) a valid reason. Thoughts? Am I just a crazy anarchist imagining things or does anyone agree?

I like peanut butter sandwiches.  Who else likes peanutbutter sandwiches? Peanut butter sandwiches are great!

Yep Nothing better than a good peanut butter sandwich!

I feel that threads are being locked for no real reason and I think it should stop.

Yeah I have to agree as well, if someone doesn't like a thread then they should just stay out of it, only when people start threating to set others on fire should a thread be locked.

BURN BABY BURN

Don't you just love the smell of burning flesh

Well, While I'll agree that a peanut butter sandwich is quite good, I must add say that including a little jelly..no no...make that jam, yeah, jam...will take the sandwich just another notch up on the scale of awesomeness....I'm Hungry

And burning flesh do you mean burning n00bs?

(BTW...my previous version of this post contained 'black listed URL(s)")

By newbs do you mean people with post counts of less than 70? har har...

Well the only proof i have of this... i set myself on fire and i was burning for ages, though it might have had something to do with the excessive fat??

It seems everyone can lock their own threads now, so they don't actually have to request for a mod to lock it if they decide they don't like the discussion that's going on, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

Fixed that. Only mods should be able to lock stuff now. Except for polls.

Regarding the number of locks, the mod team will be reducing this and noting your suggestions.

Isn't the smell GREAT!!!

It's the smell of victory, you know the napalm in the morning variety of victory.

<snip content="Vako posted about that before I finished typing"/> the less locking the better. Even when threads go to the peanut butter and burning human flesh area. (mmmmmm peanut butter on a freshly roasted human....)

85 views and no replies and still no answer to my question.

Once again, I need a program to hack into my best friends AIM account. He's a real jerk at my high school. I want to deface his myspace website and steal his girlfriend. I hear all the 1337 people talk about nmap. I tried it but all it does when i double click it is flash up a black DOS window and disappear. You guys suck!

Oh, and can someone show me how to steal my neighbors credit card number and WEP key with Krain & Able? I need XXX accezz.

Reply soon or I'll hack your DSL or your cable modem once my friend from highschool teaches me how (He's a real jerk)

[A]bort, [R]etry, [L]ock Thread, [K]eep having fun.

85 views and no replies and still no answer to my question.

Once again, I need a program to hack into my best friends AIM account. He's a real jerk at my high school. I want to deface his myspace website and steal his girlfriend. I hear all the 1337 people talk about nmap. I tried it but all it does when i double click it is flash up a black DOS window and disappear. You guys suck!

Oh, and can someone show me how to steal my neighbors credit card number and WEP key with Krain & Able? I need XXX accezz.

Reply soon or I'll hack your DSL or your cable modem once my friend from highschool teaches me how (He's a real jerk)

[A]bort, [R]etry, [L]ock Thread, [K]eep having fun.

Bah! Script kiddies don't have l33t gr4mmar 5k1llz.