cat cam?

tanda333

i was thinking of going with something like one of those usb missile launchers you've seen on thinkgeek. the interface is already there so half the work is done. and yeah we like never mention donations but probably should seeing how the ad money's going dry. anyway ill start a separate thread on that subject when its time to build.

My idea I get to buy the first shot... And I'll be happy to help set it up too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the at can be hak5 fan's spy he just goes around playing and showing us the lifestyle of the hak5 rich and famous. who wouldn't want to see Darren running around in his underwear in the morning drinking milk strate from the bottle and then seeing Wess 5 min, later  doing the same thing both thinking that no one new

• 2 weeks later...

Cat cam +

RFID

Make it so when kittie gets close to the cat food, cat food gets dispensed, track the amount of food, and set notices to refill dispenser. You could also put it on the litter box, track number of times, as well as notices to clean the litter box.

Thats sort of what I was saying, but didn't think to use an RFID tag.

You could place them all over the house and keep track of where the cat is the most and at what times of day, etc. but I am sure there is a use for something we're not even thinking of.

and add a web based floor plan using rfid to show kerby location  :)

actually thats part of another project we're working on. basically a web controlled nerf rocket launcher that viewers can use to shoot us during live shows (and drop some coin in a tip jar).. might augment the withering donations. i mean honestly who wouldn't donate a buck to nail wess in the noggin on live iptv?

That is a great idea, I'd definitely pay to shoot at you guys. Don't nerf guns usually require quite significant manual effort to launch though? Like pumping or something, not to mention reloading. If there's a high-capacity electrically-powered nerf launcher that would be suitable. Actually I either never even realised you could donate money or I somehow forgot.

Not sure if you've seen my site, but people can control a robot arm and an r/c car + lights in my basement: www.controlourjunk.com Woot had an $18 deal on the USB missile launcher the other night so I bought it and I'm putting it on my site for people to shoot down various stuff (card houses, dominos, etc...). Not sure how you're planning to code it. Everything on my site is controlled via a Linux box connected to a servo controller through serial. PHP is my friend.

@ericbarch

You should write an Anolog5 article about this, or throw something up on the wiki. I especially like the stats on the front page. Some really ace work you've done on that site.

@elmer

Thanks. This project pretty much taught me how to code in PHP. I'll try and do a write up of the project pretty soon. I'd like to change things around a bit first and take more pictures. Right now it's sitting on the basement floor, but it would be better if it was in an enclosure, especially with the missile launcher coming. I'm going to have to reload that thing every 2 minutes. I'll post when it's online. Hopefully it's just a matter of plug it in and go. I may have the wrong Linux driver, though.

The main problem right now is the "Ok, so duh, you can mount a wireless micro cam on a cat, big deal" factor. It's going to need something else to make it truly segment worth. If I can't figure out what that is I'll have to abandon the project.

Put mini armor on Kirby and fix a He-man figure to its back. Cat-cam becomes Battlecat-Cam, and thats way more exciting. Right?

For me the main draw is that, no so much that its a cat-cam project (though i'd want to do it) but its a wireless streaming cam. Every guy I know has a one point wanted a "spy cam" because Dave's been acting shifty and cupcakes keep disappearing or whatever. It's basically a cool lil project for dicking around. Hell you could tape it to the front of your car ala Rendez Vous. The project has a lot of potiental. I hope you don't abandon the idea.

If you want to stick with the the cat thing, intergrate some comms in there. Not only can you yell at the cat if it's doing something it shouldnt be but you can convince drunks Cats can talk and interact with them.

Thanks for the inspiration. This project has now made it to the top of my list. Who figured, all we needed was battle armor. And Kerby already has a mortal enemy; Buffy (Alli's cat). Cardboard and tinfoil armor here we come. This should make for entertaining and geeky hak5live material i hopes.

• 2 weeks later...

as kids we would go and assemple cardboard armor and attack eachother with broomsticks

i was the smartest and knew how to design armo, so i designed flexible plate armor and was invicible.... we never used tinfoil, but a good peice of advice for flexability and resilience is strips of carboard duct-taped together (with a gap between that allows for flexibility) and if you need more you have plates of armor hang over top.  study medieval armor.... itll teach ya some stuff.