cat cam?

tanda333

well, if weigh is an issue, remember, you can strip the cam out of it's case. you dont need the case, and upon stripping it down to basics, all things like the transmitter and the batter can be relocated to, say, a pouch on the cat's back. while the camera itself stays on its collar.

if cat cam gets boring you could just give the cat catnip.

and thanks for the help on the circuit questions. i thought that parallel increased lifespan, but i didn't think that the circuit wouldn't increase the current. good to know.

like i said I'm not an expert, but i know enough to known that batteries in series = carefully check voltage requirements and production.

you could also have the stream on the site switch between set and cat at certain times of day, or whenever you deem fit.

sounds great that people are taking this somewhat seriously, although on the chat it was more like: "w00t, we want to see the cat" "no, you cant see the cat" "we need a cat-cam w00t" and what followed was a serious of w00ts and 1337speak, which basically translates into all 40-some members in chat unanimously saying: (with fake British accent) Why i do say, a feline mounted optics unit would be quite a jolly good idea!

also, i think i may have been drunk at the time. the only think any of us know is that Darren failed at convincing us he was sober.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe its kinda funny since the catcam thing had been in the planning phases for a while before the outcry for such a device. great minds think alike. and as for the cam we're talking about the size and weight of 6 pennies stacked up. the most difficult thing will be the 9v battery.

And so will the Internet, I know. This is the ultimate "blogging the cat"

At the same time, I'm uber curious to see what the house might look like from the cats perspective. I'm hopeful yet at the same time the little bit of reality deep in the back of my head keeps saying "Carpet Cam".

I'm sure it'll have its moments, but seriously all my cat does is eat, sleep, poop, play and fight. 24x7 coverage of Kerby probably won't be that interesting. Maybe a new podcast will be born to show daily highlights of her escapades around the house. Who knows, maybe it will mark the dawn of a new kitty based, Internet delivered, reality television and meow-social networking craze. One can only imagine.

I have seen part of it, and it's an absolutely awful movie.

I never said it was a good movie...

i have seen that movie. and it is bad.

though cats go crazy when you arent paying attention, and often will fake-sleep.

just pretend to spleep for like 3-4 hours and they will start running around, playing the piano, etc.

Dude, I got it..

Put a little airsoft gun on the cat that we can fire remotely. Add a laser site so we can accurately fire it.

actually thats part of another project we're working on. basically a web controlled nerf rocket launcher that viewers can use to shoot us during live shows (and drop some coin in a tip jar).. might augment the withering donations. i mean honestly who wouldn't donate a buck to nail wess in the noggin on live iptv?

actually thats part of another project we're working on. basically a web controlled nerf rocket launcher that viewers can use to shoot us during live shows (and drop some coin in a tip jar).. might augment the withering donations. i mean honestly who wouldn't donate a buck to nail wess in the noggin on live iptv?

That is a great idea, I'd definitely pay to shoot at you guys. Don't nerf guns usually require quite significant manual effort to launch though? Like pumping or something, not to mention reloading. If there's a high-capacity electrically-powered nerf launcher that would be suitable. Actually I either never even realised you could donate money or I somehow forgot.

i was thinking of going with something like one of those usb missile launchers you've seen on thinkgeek. the interface is already there so half the work is done. and yeah we like never mention donations but probably should seeing how the ad money's going dry. anyway ill start a separate thread on that subject when its time to build.

i was thinking of going with something like one of those usb missile launchers you've seen on thinkgeek. the interface is already there so half the work is done. and yeah we like never mention donations but probably should seeing how the ad money's going dry. anyway ill start a separate thread on that subject when its time to build.

Just add a laser pointer sight and it'd be awesome!

Aren't laser pointers dangerous to the eyes if looking directly at the beam?

Aren't laser pointers dangerous to the eyes if looking directly at the beam?

Yes, although the lower powered laser that are most common don't damage the eye very readily (that is, you need to shine it in your eye for quite a while to do anything), it's better not to take the chance, especially since you can't feel your retina being damaged.

onee problem with that , the secound the pointer hits an  object kirby or buffy would be in attack mode.

there you go catcam + webbase laser pointer so we can target something and then Kerby goes and playes with the red dot :)

teach the cat how to use a digital cam and photoshop (HDR images taken by a cat :) )

anyway if they put a cam on the cat, wont it scratch or bite it off or dip it in water when drinking or  will another cat get jealous and punch the cam and break it?

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah basically right now the proof of concept hack comprises of a 2.4GHz micro wireless camera (that also does audio) and 9v battery mounted to a kitty collar and a server with a video capture card broadcasting to uStream. The cost (not including PC) is about $100.

The main problem right now is the "Ok, so duh, you can mount a wireless micro cam on a cat, big deal" factor. It's going to need something else to make it truly segment worth. If I can't figure out what that is I'll have to abandon the project.

And no, mounting GPS to the cat isn't an option.

Suggestions please as I'd really like to make this a segment and show it off mid-summer.

Train the cat to do something cool?  Get a laser pointer?....  Ohhh get this and attach ... http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/8a0f/