RSS alarm clock under linux

rustysail

hey, I was hoping i might be able to get some help here. I was trying to set up the rss alarm clock on my Ubuntu box, but I ran into some errors while testing it.

Here is the output in the command line

rusty@rusty-desktop:~/.alarm$ ./rss-alarm.sh 

Can't locate DateTime/Format/Mail.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML/RSS.pm line 7.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML/RSS.pm line 7.

Compilation failed in require at weather.pl line 18.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at weather.pl line 18.

Can't locate DateTime/Format/Mail.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML/RSS.pm line 7.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML/RSS.pm line 7.

Compilation failed in require at rss2html.pl line 17.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at rss2html.pl line 17.

Linux: can't open /dev/dsp

(I deleted the line that plays the mp3 file just for testing purposes since I already know that works)

My knowledge doesn't go very far here.

I know /dev/dsp refers to my speakers. I don't know any perl, but I copied the files given in the tutorial exactly.

When I went through the tutorial, there were not any errors so I don't know what went wrong. My only guess is that I might be missing some perl libraries I didn't know about.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

You're missing the DateTime::Format::Mail Perl module, you need to install it with CPAN. Does /dev/dsp exist and if so what are its permissions? Are you running something else that may be already using /dev/dsp (perhaps a sound daemon)?. Try installing lsof if it isn't already installed and run lsof | grep dsp to see if anything has /dev/dsp open.

Hey Thanks for the reply.

I installed the DateTime::Format::Mail module. It had a bunch of dependencies so I installed those as well.

I also got no output from lsof, but if a sound daemon is the little speaker on the panel that changes the volume. If so I removed that from the panel.

I found that /dev/dsp is there, so I ran chmod +wrx /dev/dsp.

After all that I'm getting the same exact output from the alarm.

I'm going to try to resart. Maybe my computer hasn't noticed my new modules yet.

Edit

I just restarted and now I have no problems with /dev/dsp

Festival reads alarm.txt, but doesn't give any information about the feeds. So that alarm.txt looks like this

good morning , today is

Sunday April 22 ..... Time .. 12 hours. and 13 minutes

... ... ... Todays forecast ...

... ... ... The lastest from dig is ...

The top stories from slash dot are ...

time to meet that real girl, have a nice day

Other than that part the rest of the error message remains the same.

Can't locate DateTime/Locale.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/DateTime.pm line 52.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/DateTime.pm line 52.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DateTime/Format/Mail.pm line 7.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DateTime/Format/Mail.pm line 7.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML/RSS.pm line 7.

Can't locate DateTime/Locale.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/DateTime.pm line 52.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/DateTime.pm line 52.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DateTime/Format/Mail.pm line 7.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DateTime/Format/Mail.pm line 7.

[/code]