The battary powered switch!

Sparda

Doing it with a manual switch (ie the power goes out, unplug and connect the batterys) would be pretty simple. Hell i got it to work with nothing more than sticky tape and a kitchen knife. But making it automatically switch would need an additional PCB, which you must be able to get off the shelf or make fairly quickly.

An easy way of making it last longer is getting some airsoft batterys and connecting them up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's transistors which do a similar thing, though I'm not sure what the voltages/currents you're using are gonna mean when using transistors...

For this particular bit of kit, i belive the max it uses is 9v DC... which in transistor terms means.... what? Champagne all round or a nasty burning smell?

erm... not sure actually VaKo, I flunked Electronics lol

I'm sure there is a way to do it with transistors, and maybe a few diodes and resistors but I'm hoping someone has more info, 'cos I can't remember much about it...

Well a DPDT relay would work well, if you have the NO circuit as the battery power and the NC circuit as the power brick and the coil connected to the power brick as well (in parallel with the NC pins) it would work (hopefully).

It would be more complicated with transistors I think as you would need multiple transistors to have the same effect at a DPDT relay.

Cool Cool, keep us up to date. Perhaps we should market these (after the prototype and testing is compleated) as "Hak.5 portable switches" ^^, actualy a HUB would be better, that way you don;t have to mess about with the ARP tables for man in the middle attacks.

I would do that but I have no hubs...

...though I have a USB hub I can work on...

lol - it's active rather than passive but requires a wall-wart - could battery-ise that... dunno how useful it'd be in the field though

lol@sparda :D

Just having a good thing about it, a HUB is good becasue you can just open Etheral and start listening to peoples trafic, but it's bad because it makes SSL attacks imposible (am I right?) becasue you can't intercept the request for the SSL certificate like you can with a switch (some one please conferm or proov this wrong).

I think you've got it somewhat backwards.

Hub: all data received on any of its ports is retransmitted on all other ports.

Switch: all data received on any of its ports is only retransmitted on the port where the destination machine is known to be.

I don't see how having a hub allows you to received *ALL* data sent by the other machines, but somehow not the SSL certificate... :?

Well, the idea is that with a switch ARP spoof atack all data is sent to the attacksers computer and that attacks computer sends it on, but with a HUB this is not posible as the data is sent reguradless of wather it was intercepted or not.

Not to be a huge killjoy... but imho this isn't quite a "hack."

Not counting solder, you can modularly's change a hub's/switch's power source for just over $1 US.

Battery Holder:

4XAA-Holder.jpg

http://www.futurlec.com/Batteries-Holders.shtml

$0.30 each

Female Power Plug:

Digi-Key Part Number CP-002D-ND

Description CONN POWER PLUG 1.3MM

*This varies with the specs of the hub/switch

$0.78 each

Add some solder, and you've got yourself a pluggable power source for $1.08.