my monitor about to die?

PureZero

Hey guys.

The last few days my monitor have been turning like from wthite to yellow form time to time. is it my monitor or something thats about to die?

Edit: what i meen to say is, where i know it should be white and usually is, suddenly turns yellow for a few sec, then back to white. But i guess you guys understod that.

I'm with moonlit on this one. Had a similar problem, and when I unplugged the cable and took a closer look at the connector I found that one of the pins was all bent out of shape, actually pressing against another pin. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch of the imagination to assume a break in the cable itself can yield the same effect.

seconed / thrided with Moonlit / cooper, im going with its the cable, ive had many of the same issues, 400 computers all with CRT's all about 4yrs old, u get this easly. Ive found it to be, when the cable is stationed in a bent possition for say a year, then abruptly moved, casuing the leads to break inside the cable.

Though ive also found an easy cheap solution, next time it goes yellow, wiggle the cable about, if it flicks yellow and white, then start applining preasure to sections of the cable, (sometimes a fair amount) there should be a section (commonly near the monitor end) that when preasure is applied the Monitor will turn white, once this is found, place a cable tie around the borked section and tighten.

this is worked for me many of times, for a correct method of fixing this problem is to replace the VGA lead.

Anyone who remembers the really old CRT's with a actual button on the front to make the picture green? Those were the days!

Heck yeah! I remember using those on the Acorns back then, but I believe some one the Amiga compatible monitors did that... and way back when, the PC monitors *only* did green (or amber). :D

Anyone who remembers the really old CRT's with a actual button on the front to make the picture green? Those were the days!

Heck yeah! I remember using those on the Acorns back then, but I believe some one the Amiga compatible monitors did that... and way back when, the PC monitors *only* did green (or amber). :D

I got given a very old laptop that had been stuck up in someones loft for more years than proberbly ive lived (18). When i say laptop i mean a "portable desktop" its the size of a small suit case, weighs a tonne, has a full keyborad which can be taken out and is the size of a normal "non-laptop" keyboard, has no HDD (runs off of the old floppy disc what are they 7") . That has a amber screen which is about 6" by 4". Best of all its got an inbult fully working dotmatrix printer on the back!

Well seems like you guys are right, thanks. :)

Heh my Crt aint That old :P just had it for like 3 years now, just havent gotten around to buying a new one yet, kinda. But then again everything else have been upgraded on this computer, so maybe its time for that to.

We will see, maybe ill get myself a new one :)

if you do get a new one, look into lcd's the most common ones are made with a TN+ film matrix (or something along those lines, cant remember the exact technical name) these lcd's have the best response time (which is so good these days that you really cant notice a difference between it and a CRT, if you do, then you need to do a double blind test because your predjudices are convincing you its slower, because at 2-8ms we really dont have the ability to actually notice any response time lag)they are also becoming so cheap that it is pointless to get a CRT, unless you need vertical viewing angles(becaus the horizontal angles are fine) and absolutly perfect color reproduction (although models with LED backlight solve this.)

its really almost pointless to use a CRT these days. youll just break your back trying to lift the CRT anyways.

I have a 17" crt that is going out, I know this because I have the brightness maxed on it, and I had to change the settings in the nvidia menu to make it brighter, but I don't have the money to buy myself a new lcd monitor. . .  or crt for that matter, though I would like to get two lcd monitors, because I am using a dual view setup, and lcd monitors work better, because I have heard that if you put two crt monitors together they will mess each other up, I havn't taken the time to find out, I just leave them really far apart.

I have a 17" crt that is going out, I know this because I have the brightness maxed on it, and I had to change the settings in the nvidia menu to make it brighter, but I don't have the money to buy myself a new lcd monitor. . .  or crt for that matter, though I would like to get two lcd monitors, because I am using a dual view setup, and lcd monitors work better, because I have heard that if you put two crt monitors together they will mess each other up, I havn't taken the time to find out, I just leave them really far apart.

They won't mess each other up.

Seriously, I had an old 286 that was always green.  Same thing as the amber ones, but green instead.  Never saw another one.

I should add, this was an UPGRADE from my badass Tandy Color Computer III with a wopping 128k of memory!!

Both systems were bought new by my parents, and wound up being mine shortly after.