Protect all files on USB

simo923

Hi Guys. Well i have a nice switchblade package that works for me now. Something i would like to do is protect the files. Protect them from copying and deleting so that if anyone sees the files there they cant do anything with them.

I have seen it done where right clicking on a file will just tell you to get lost or trying to delete it will give access denied.

Been searching google for days now and nothing.

that assumes he has a U3 drive i would use a folder locking program and see if it will work on the files

if that dosent work theres always the atrrib Command although i dont think it will say somthing like "nice try" or anything but it should stop the user from "modifying" your files or thier locations

Thanks guys. I like the idea of the files being on the ISO as the stick looks empty then, apart from the log files. Having a bit of a problem building it now. The GO.CMD attempts to run but attempts to build the log files in the CD portion. How can i define that the log files are not built under /WIP (which is on the ISO) and they are to be dropped in the Flash portion. Thanks guys.

OK, i've been playing all morning. Still couldn't get it to work from the ISO portion. I dropped the WIP folder into the ISO. Still couldnt figure out how to tell it to dave log files to the Flash portion though. I am thinking it could be done by telling the GO.CMD to look for a file (flash.txt) in drives D-Z and if it sees it to write the Dump folder there. Still couldn't get it playing though

I did set all the file attributes to system, read only and hidden. Unfortunately when using explorer you can still delete copy and amend the files.

Also tried folder locks, and exe locks. No joy. They lock the folders but wont let the applications run from inside the folder. Must be a way round this...i;ll keep worknig on it.

find out what the drive letter is for the cd-partiion then make a batch file that detect whether its plus 1 letter or minus 1 letter

Ex program finds:cd == E

then program finds either F or D

and it find the valid one and >> to your path

or try creating a file on the flash called zz.dat or somthing then run the find command using all drive letters then the one that finds it is your drive

get it?

I'm going tot work on that now. Thanks. I dont think the minus 1 plus 1 method will work as the drive letter changes but i will work on the find file solution. Tried it will a previous build i had and it didn't work but i'm sure i will get it sorted.

Ok. I got the search for the file going

for %%i in (B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:zz.dat set dir=%%i

that seems to search ok. Not sure if its actually picking up the file though because it doesnt seem to make the file structure in the folder i ask for. The go.cmd runs from the CD afterwards but because it can't find a file structure it wont write anything.

It maybe a wrong syntax.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.  Have been trying for a week or so now just to get it running just off the ISO or locking people from reading or altering/copying the WIP/CMD folder.  I would be really interested in it all running off the ISO and writing to the flash drive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Just seem the keep going in circles.

Thanks

i dunno if this is going to be any help its 3am....

i took a look at your code and i dont have a u3 drive to test this on but in theory it works.... i think

for %%i in (B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:logszz.dat set ldir=%%i:logs

place the file zz.dat in a folder called logs on your flash drive, then in go.cmd everywhere you refer to the log just use %ldir%<whatever you call your log>.log and refering to the payload files on the ISO just use %CD% i think that will work because that is where go.cmd is launched from...

as i said its 3am if u want more of an explanation let me know, if you email me your go.cmd i can take a look and i should be able to edit it for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Woo got my U3 drive the other day, I have figured out how to get this working with all the files in the CD partition (I Have also kept the U3 Launcher). I am assuming that you haven't figured out how to do this yet? I can send you my ISO if you would like to take a look at how I got this to work. I would also recommend this to anyone who is using the switchblade because AV programs cannot delete the files on the CD partition.

Any way to keep these files from getting wiped out by AV software on a non-u3 drive?

I've moded one of my USB Switchblades to dump all its log files to "C:Documents and Settings%currentuser%DesktopLogfiles" so that I can put the entire flash drive in read-only mode, but then I have to remove the switchblade and plug in a clean drive so I can take the dumped logs with me.

It works, but I find that it's rather suspicious to be swapping flash drives in-and-out. Anybody know of a better way?