Wireless Help, Got Router, No Internet.

Mr Andrewson

Oh, thanks for the help.

No problem.

If you were attempting to be sarcastic, before anyone can answer your question you need to ask it.

By asking the question I mean GIVING PLENTY OF INFORMATION.

"omg my internet won't work" isn't a question.

"ok, so I connected my dsl router all up with my PC on the first LAN port and the DSL's hooked to the phone line. I've used the router's quickstart wizard and given it my ISP's information, I've installed the filters properly (which work because I used them on my old DSL modem) and all the phone cables are good, they're brand new so I know they're not at fault. everything's plugged in and turned on but I can't get the net on the PC or wirelessly on my laptop, anyone think of something I've missed?" is a question.

Ok, i'll post a full question.

I have attempted to get my wireless network set up today, i plugged the router into the filter and into the power socket, i also set up my wireless adapter, (for the computer, it's not a wireless network card), the adapter picked up my router fine and i could edit all the configuration fine using the dash board in the router, the problem i having is the DSL or Internet light won't flash on my router, therefor meaning no Internet, the Internet needs the DSL first, the cables are all fine and the router configuration is all correct for TalkTalk's needs, what could be the problem, hardware failure in the router? or a bad filter? I'm sure it's not the filter now seen as it is being used by my adsl cable, any help guys?

I don't mean to be sarcastic in saying this so sorry if it sounds like it... but that's better!

Assuming the router's connected to the phone line properly (and with a suitable cable - regular phone extension cables sometimes kill ADSL), the only thing I can think of is the kind of connection the router's trying to make. I don't know much about this, but I do know there are different methods of connecting to a network and your router might not be set for the right one. Also check to see if it's trying to connect to ADSL2 using ADSL settings... I don't know if that'll make a difference but it might, so double and triple check the DSL settings are exactly right.

no; phone line> filter> DLS modem> then computer. if not try below.

ok , see if a phone will work thro the filter on the line if so call up and see why you don't have DSL yet.

also before calling try another socket, you may have to go down to your basement and see what wires are going into the main box, you will always need green, and yellow. for dsl you need the red and the white, black just makes things smother - i think, It has been a wile since I rewired a main box.

Ok, i'll post a full question.

I have attempted to get my wireless network set up today, i plugged the router into the filter and into the power socket, i also set up my wireless adapter, (for the computer, it's not a wireless network card), the adapter picked up my router fine and i could edit all the configuration fine using the dash board in the router, the problem i having is the DSL or Internet light won't flash on my router, therefor meaning no Internet, the Internet needs the DSL first, the cables are all fine and the router configuration is all correct for TalkTalk's needs, what could be the problem, hardware failure in the router? or a bad filter? I'm sure it's not the filter now seen as it is being used by my adsl cable, any help guys?

Remove the filter from the modem. the filter blocks the DSL signal so that your phone dosnt have noise from DSL when you talk to ppl. the filter is filtering out the DSL signal. :)

Did you plug the DSL modem in to the DSL port on the filter (the DSL port should be a RJ11 connector

rj11-45.gif

For those of us who do not know the basics of the UK phone network (America uses exclusivly RJ11?), the normal phone plug in UK looks like (does it have a name?):

Telephone_Line_Cords_with_UK_Telephone_P

• 1 month later...

sounds like a linksys router to me.  If so you can go to the linksys sight and download the easylink connect networking tools.  It will walk you through all the steps to get the router back on line (of course your router has to be compatible)

Did you plug the DSL modem in to the DSL port on the filter (the DSL port should be a RJ11 connector

IMG

For those of us who do not know the basics of the UK phone network (America uses exclusivly RJ11?), the normal phone plug in UK looks like (does it have a name?):

Telephone_Line_Cords_with_UK_Telephone_P

if you took that picture sparta then there should be a button that allows you to do close ups that will focus, it might look like a flower RTM

hi im an AMERICAN ON A RESCUE MISSION!!!

wow that sounded lame and im actually portuguese...

anymay mate,

this is how it rolls,

1st adsl routers in europe tend to rape people in the a## because they suck!

2nd check what outputs to other routers and computers your adsl router has(usually usb, ethernet and if you're rich fiberoptic) try first the ethernet, connect to your pc and go to start- run- cmd and type ipconfig, that should give you the gateway- type that address into your browser and enter the providers' settings, from there look at your options and make sure it doesnt have a blockade against additional routers or etc(a lot of adsl routers have that preinstalled to steal money from people in telling them that they are the only gods that an expand your network), after that check other settings and see if anything looks out of place.

3rd if the above step didnt work, check the brand of your wireless router, if you have belkin then dee dee dee, they suck and thats why(5/7 of the belkin routers i set up, refused all connections from any isp. if you have netgear it depends on the model.

4th and final make sure in your wireless router,  it has the common set up of auto detect proxy setting and etc.

if none of these work and your adsl light wont light, then grab the router and throw it out your window or call your serv provider and tell them that the router has made you depressed and suicidal(they usually respond to that and fix you up) lol

well i hope this helps you

keep me updated lol

o o yeah i forgot --- remember parents are idots- so check every single phone socket and make sure it has a filter

lol my mom keep tripping on the phone line and then plugs the phone into the dsl slot... Playing Fear... my parents disapoint me...

This might sound crazy but have you tried calling your ISP ?  they tend to try the simple things first and you may be looking into this problem more than you should, could be that you have  a static IP on your computer and your router is set to DHCP