CPU Buyers guide

Deveant

T_T ok, so my CPU is getting outta date (so vista says - 4.1 rating <_<). So its time to upgrade, and Dual Core time it is. Though what im having trouble with is a $300 price difference for .27gb extra :S

What im looking at atm is the:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

(2.4Ghz/Conroe/4MB/1066FSB/EMT64/XD/Dual Core)

$470.00

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

(2.67Ghz/Conroe/4MB/1066FSB/EMT64/XD/Dual Core)

$759.00

though for the price difference, is there really that much of a preformance boost? Quite simply im planning on saving up $1k to spend on my PC (about 3 months away), and im still in need of getting a Crossfire / Dual Core MoBo. Looking at a ASUS Commando.

Or would it be best to move over to a AM2 Chip?

T_T ok, so my CPU is getting outta date (so vista says - 4.1 rating <_<). So its time to upgrade, and Dual Core time it is. Though what im having trouble with is a $300 price difference for .27gb extra :S

What im looking at atm is the:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

(2.4Ghz/Conroe/4MB/1066FSB/EMT64/XD/Dual Core)

$470.00

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

(2.67Ghz/Conroe/4MB/1066FSB/EMT64/XD/Dual Core)

$759.00

though for the price difference, is there really that much of a preformance boost? Quite simply im planning on saving up $1k to spend on my PC (about 3 months away), and im still in need of getting a Crossfire / Dual Core MoBo. Looking at a ASUS Commando.

Or would it be best to move over to a AM2 Chip?

I don't think you will see much of a difference in performance. Quad Core's are coming out, but if your going to be waiting a few monts, I am sure prices will come down now that Quad cores are hitting, so see what the prices are when you do have the money and then make the decision. You might find the faster clock at a cheaper price depending on how long you wait.

I had been using an AMD Duron 800m for about 6 years and finally broke down and got an Intel Dual core, 2.6g about 3 months ago, at under $600 for the whole pc.

In my experience Intel duel cores run mighty hot.

Yeah, it does run a LOT hotter than my AMD did, and it uses more electricity. I can tell just by my electric bill. My next pc will be a switch back to AMD. I never had stability issues when I used my AMD other than when my hard drive went, and that has nothing to do with the cpu. Since I got the intel, it reboots at random (probably heat) and I notice with the fan system it came with ir collects a TON of dust around the heat sink. I have to clean it about twice a month or the fan starts going crazy and you can hear it trying to cool down the system.

I am currently looking into liquid cooling, but for the cost, I'd rather switch back to an AMD and set it up instead.

In my experience Intel duel cores run mighty hot.

Yeah, it does run a LOT hotter than my AMD did, and it uses more electricity. I can tell just by my electric bill. My next pc will be a switch back to AMD. I never had stability issues when I used my AMD other than when my hard drive went, and that has nothing to do with the cpu. Since I got the intel, it reboots at random (probably heat) and I notice with the fan system it came with ir collects a TON of dust around the heat sink. I have to clean it about twice a month or the fan starts going crazy and you can hear it trying to cool down the system.

I am currently looking into liquid cooling, but for the cost, I'd rather switch back to an AMD and set it up instead.

Are you guys talking Core 2's or the older duel cores. Big difference in design.Core 2's should run alot cooler.

If your going to overclock anyway, have a look at the E4300. It's been taken up to 3Ghz with stock cooling.

And if you can wait a couple of weeks(I am), Intel is cutting prices April 22.

My Palomino core AMD AthlonXP 2100+ (stock speeds, 1.73GHz, non-stock cooling but similar to it) runs at ~35'C idle with software cooling. ~44'C without software cooling, ~50-52'C under full load.

As for the topic, I say go for the cheaper ones. If need be it's likely got room for OCing, not that you should need it. The performance doesn't justify the prices of high end CPUs for most people.

i dont know what on earth you guys are doing with the core 2 duos, ive seen the 6800 on a freinds computer that i helped build, we put a stock cooler from the p4 prescott 3.4ghz, on, and she idels at 21C and when fully loaded, (sandra sisoft, 16 loops) the cpu never broke 48C, and this is at 3.15ghz OC'ed. you guys are either lying through you teeth, or are seriously messed up. being as the core 2 duos dont have ANY amd cpus that run cooler (at least that have been made in the past 2 years) this has been stated officicialy and tested and proved by third party groups. whether you want to admit it or not, intel is back in the drivers seat, and there is nothing amd can do about it.