Hak5 EU Meetup Thread

DarkSenay

I'll get looking on a hostel now, I have a couple of days free from lectures and work and I am in London right now.

I'll bring a couple back to choose from which I think have what we want.

Bump.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the delay, but been having problems getting onto the website, as I'm sure we're all aware.

I've look around and there are a few, but not having stayed in a hostel before, I'm only making guesses here.

First: http://www.hostellondon.com/hosteldetails....rloo-London-528

Second: http://www.hostellondon.com/hosteldetails....n)-London-10044

Third: http://www.hostellondon.com/hosteldetails....stelNumber=4483

First, is in tube zone 1, Second and Third are in tube zone 2.

I think they all have what we want, and prices are good.

Need some more input on what people think.

Any one of these works for me. It is coming up on june and those of us in the United States need to start buying Plane Tickets. Also for those of you flying over from the US, what are your plans? I assume that you are going to be staying longer than 3 days right?

How about the YMCA hostel at Barbican? My main reason for choosing this is it is right next to my flat.

It is very central though and close to the Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan, Northern and Central underground train lines.

It is also right around the corner from superclub Fabric, which we could go to, to finish off the evening, especially if we are there on a Friday Night!

This page has info on room rates: http://www.cityymca.org/BarbicanAccom.htm

Barbican is also smack bam in the middle of the City Of London district, and there are literally hundreds of WIFI signals around that area, if that interests anyone.

How about we do a vote on which hostel to pick, once there are a few more suggestions?

hey thats awsome that you've done this in the UK

you've inspireted me and i am thinking of forming a group in portugal aswell

HAK5 is expanding and when i went to portugal last summer i was surprised to know that quite a bit of people already knew of HAK5(mostly because i had reffered it to them.

well if there is something we're good at hacking is windows and satellite systems lol

send me a message if you would like to know more...

:cool:

How about the YMCA hostel at Barbican?

30+ quid per single room per night where the Hostels start at 6 quid. I don't think the YMCA will be getting a lot of votes as it appears quite a few people coming are on a tight budget.

Yeah I don't think the ymca will suit our needs so well. I'll take a look at those hostel links in a bit.

I also wanna post that I got an email from Ian Forrester, he organises geek type events like geekdinners and barcamplondon, google him he's the man ;) Anyway he wanted to help out organising this and he's certainly the man for the job. He tells me we can have that BBQ after all, in wimbledon park, so I think we should put that back on the agenda for sure.

I'm sure he'll get on this thread soon too, but one thing he asked was if we wanted to send the word out to other groups like Dorkbot and 2600. Of course its still a "hak5" meetup, but I think the more the merrier, with a bunch of cool geeks all getting together to have fun under the Hak5 banner, I think that could be really good for the uk/eu hak5 community at large, plus its good advertising for the show hehe. If this takes off it could even become a regular event! So what do you all think?

I think Ian would be great for this, he organises in his sleep from what I can tell, it'd be great to have him on board.

I'm gonna lay down a vote for "the more the merrier", it's a(n unofficial) Hak.5 even, and it still can (and will) be if there's others there, we can still meet each other, and do the stuff we were gonna do anyway, but with even more people. From what I can tell it's gonna be fairly "anything goes" anyway, so if we did split off in to groups to go do whatever then we'd just have more people do go with.

I don't think involving other groups would negatively affect this at all, I'm up for it!

Oh yeah, on the subject of hostels I'd agree this is gonna be a bunch of broke hackers for the most part, so cheap is most definitely good. I reckon the bulk of the cash is gonna be travel really, and then food and drink.

My edit button's gonna wear out soon... Obviously the focus is this particular meetup and well see soon enough how well it's gonna work out, but I think a regular thing would be great, I think the EU community (and I'm biased, but Brit community) needs a few more events, and adding another one to the list would be awesome.

I don't know or have ever heard of Ian, but if you all say he's the man, by all means. If we can combine with other meetups, that would be awesome. We're, looking at the wiki, about 10-15 people strong. If that many people truly showed up I'd be impressed and quite pleased with that. If we can combine with other geeks, then by all means go for it.

I reckon the bulk of the cash is gonna be travel really, and then food and drink.

Slight change in priorities. First drink, then food. Plus, food will probably be really cheap by comparison.

I think a regular thing would be great.

It would take some critical mass. If we can reach it with this event and have a fun time doing our thing there it's something to consider. For a first time deal though, let's wait and see how this pans out before we start planning any further.

I reckon the bulk of the cash is gonna be travel really, and then food and drink.

Slight change in priorities. First drink, then food. Plus, food will probably be really cheap by comparison.

That's great and all, but getting to this thing is kind of a priority ;)

Drink is going to be a key resource though :D

Are we just booking the hostel rooms ourselves or is someone doing a group booking?

What would be best is to warn the hostel we are all coming and then when we book we can tell them so they can put us all in the same rooms.

I have no preference on which hostel we pick. A car park on or near the premesis would be nice, but I don't really care enough to worry about it.

So, anybody have a specific preference for any of the hostels stingwray mentioned? If not, let's move on to booking mode. Time is slowly becoming a factor.

Waiting to book, looking at a 12 bed unit, we need to get this done ASAP.

We also need to just get the people together and have a meeting about this. What time works best for everyone, i'm guessing the evening in the UK

Or just sometime this sunday. Let us know.

In the meantime, check out some hostels at http://www.hostellondon.com/

One more thing, join #hak5meetup on irc.hak5.org for the most up-to-date info

FYI, I'm at Graspop this weekend, so nothing internet-related will be happening to me until monday afternoon/evening.

Please keep logs of the meet so I too know what's decided.

Urgh, my internet is annoying, had trouble getting a stable connection lately hence why I haven't been around. I got a pm about the hostel, seeing as no one is in a better position to see places I'm willing to go for anything in the right place at the right price,that place seems to be, so count me in!

When we have 12 or more we can do this thing, I'll add a bit to the wiki when we do so we can see who is booked in and who isn't (and where).

We should decide where we want the bbq, I notice the hostel has facilities, but if any of the bbq friendly parks are nearby it might be nicer there. Also, the 16+ could attend that part, the hostel needs guardians for under 18's and I'm not being a guardian lol. I guess I'll find out what locations are near there where we can hold it and we'll decide where to go.

If people want an irc meeting how about we say Saturday June 30th, weekends are good for most people and it gives you more than half a days notice. I can probably provide a voip conference if people want but its probably easier on irc so people don't talk over each other.