Hak5 EU Meetup Thread

DarkSenay

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no beef against London. Also...

We'll probably be living on burgers and kebabs (or something a little more healthy for some of us) so food isn't gonna be a problem.

Gimme a stove, some large pans and a head count and I can fix you up something hot, nutricious, tasty and cheap. It doesn't take a genious to make 60 pounds of spaghetti with bolognese sauce.

All you veggie people can go chew on a carrot or something. :P

Last year I went to Palmer's Lodge and I rather liked it. It wasn't the cheapest, but at 12 pounds a night it was still quite affordable, especially since it is close to a metro station in zone 2, has free internet (and wifi), clean accomodations, checkout time at 11:00, and generous (and rather good) breakfasts. So far my two cents.

Last year I went to Palmer's Lodge and I rather liked it. It wasn't the cheapest, but at 12 pounds a night it was still quite affordable, especially since it is close to a metro station in zone 2, has free internet (and wifi), clean accomodations, checkout time at 11:00, and generous (and rather good) breakfasts. So far my two cents.

Got to admit, it sounds better than the one I stayed in even though it was nice.

So now we have a location, a couple of possible places to stay, we just need a venue. I think talking to the universities would be good, they will be empty of students in August so will have spare rooms. Talking to a comp sci department may even get better deals.

Anoyone out there at uni in London?

I don't live in London so I'm prob no help organising the logistics, but I'm happy to help organise anything else, getting people together, setting any stuff up for while we're there and whatever.

Is it about time for a wiki page? We can start getting people ideas on what they wanna do when they are there as opposed to the purely organisational side of things. The crazier the better, its better to have too many ideas and throw out the bad ones hehe.

I don't live in London so I'm prob no help organising the logistics, but I'm happy to help organise anything else, getting people together, setting any stuff up for while we're there and whatever.

same here, anything to help

Is it about time for a wiki page? We can start getting people ideas on what they wanna do when they are there as opposed to the purely organisational side of things. The crazier the better, its better to have too many ideas and throw out the bad ones hehe.

A wifi tresure hunt, find the APs and hidden info to solve a puzzle.

Are we going to try to get venders involved? If so we need to start talking to them now. Maybe get some prizes/give aways like at shmoocon,

Are we going to try to get venders involved? If so we need to start talking to them now. Maybe get some prizes/give aways like at shmoocon,

Well that would be great, I don't know if it is really on that scale, but if it is I'm def up for it. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but lets see what everyone says first. It would be great.

AP treasure hunt sounds pretty fun, thing is with their range you'd need to spread them through london which might have some other issues lol. We could have some challenges dotted around though, fun things, let everyone have at it for shits and giggles hehe. if anyone has a projector we could have some laughs seeing things people had done too.

I'm far too busy to think straight right now :( but we have till august lol

How about "Most audacious social engineering stunt"? I was initially thinking how many passwords can you social engineer but they are hard to confirm but if someone comes back from a session with free tickets to a gig or having been allowed into the old bomb shelters then that would be good.

For the vender stuff, I'm sure with your contacts cyber_eagle, you could at least get a couple of books or someone could get some company to pay for a few beers.

With the wifi, the last tresure hunt I did was just around a small uni campus. You had to report back the exact location of the AP, saying which building it was in wasn't good enough, it had to be under the table at the back of room 101.

As cybereagle says I'm not sure if this is gonna be on a scale worthy of vendor involvement but that would be cool if it could be arranged... I'm thinking we'll be lucky if we get 30 people attending (though I might be underestimating, I really have no idea) but I think it would be cool if it ended up being bigger than I'm thinking.

My thoughts were a bunch of like-minded people getting together, having a few drinks, talking tech if the mood takes us, then sprinkle in some spontanious stuff wherever we feel like sprinkling it... if it ends up as a full blown organised event with stuff to do then that's good too... I'm up for pretty much anything.

Guess it comes down to what we can organise/what we feel like organising/how long this is gonna be. :)

Exactly as moonlit said, but plan big and we'll get as much done as we can. Might as well shoot for the stars so to speak, we wont have a real idea of scale until we put the word out there more (maybe on the show cough ;) ) now that we have some kind of an idea of the where's and whens we can get an idea of scale. people can feel free to pitch in and organise something within it. So, long as everyone knows where its at, go crazy :D

1 things for sure, this thing is on! :!:

I could bring a Mini-ITX plus some disk images of hackable Linuxes and we could see who gets in first. I just don't know if this is the kind of thing people want to do at events like this?

I'd be up for a bit of that. My main areas are wifi and web app so I need some hands on on going after wired networks. I always learn better when I have a reason and if I have someone to show me why things work or don't work

London is good for me.

I'm currently at Imperial College London as well at the moment,

Living in London until the 24th June, buts its easy for me to get there.

I can do anything needed (within reason) that the organizers need doing.

Now im not saying that i am attending...but can I make a suggestion to add to yours....

Your in London, During the day check the sites (Trafalgar square, the trocadero, bricklane, camden town, leicester square, brixton, tower bridge etc.... During the night drink beer and chat to girls. If you are sober for more that one hour...you fail.

Don't stay indoors too long 'hacking' stuff, thats too easy ;)

Good luck guys

I agree we should be dynamic about things, and ding fun stuff is of course good. But I also like to defend actually doing some tech stuff. This is a tech/hack meetup, the rest of life is quite big enough to go outside. personally, i'd rather do something different for once. i can do that stuff anytime, this is a rarer opportunity.

But theres plenty we can be doing. London is full of "stuff" lol. sites, bars, history, street technology, people. theres something for everyone.

I agree we should be dynamic about things, and ding fun stuff is of course good. But I also like to defend actually doing some tech stuff. This is a tech/hack meetup, the rest of life is quite big enough to go outside. personally, i'd rather do something different for once. i can do that stuff anytime, this is a rarer opportunity.

But theres plenty we can be doing. London is full of "stuff" lol. sites, bars, history, street technology, people. theres something for everyone.

I agree, I can go out and get drunk any time (tonight probably) but getting together with a bunch of hackers is a rare event and I don't want to spend it all in a stupor or out sight seeing

Agreed. I mean... agreed with everyone :P

As I say, I'm up for everything but both the PoVs (drinking, sight-seeing, hooking up with teh chixorz -vs- doing some techy stuff with london, a few laptops, a rogue access point and a piece of string) make sense to me.

Make that a neutral vote of 'whatever, anything goes' :)