Hak5 EU Meetup Thread

DarkSenay

Guest TehHacks
I would come unless it was in London, why? because i don't have the money to travel.

Main argument why is should be in the London: Because Moonlit says he wants it in the UK and what Moonlit wants Moonlit gets...capeeish?

James

Hold on, you live in London, but if it is in London you won't come because you don't have the money to travel from London to London? Also, there are places in the UK outside of London, you know.

Woops type (and lots of them) sorry. and the second part was a jokes.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about accommodation? Are we talking hotels etc or is there someone brave enough to turn there house over to the Hak.5 Army?

I was wondering the same... I think it's gonna depend on how long we intend for this to last as to whether someone might be insane enough to house us for a couple of nights... My original thought was a hotel or something but any other ideas would be good. :)

I'll throw a vote in for the UK. If it comes over here I'm happy to help organise stuff.

Wherever it is it should be close to a major airport so that there is little travelling once people hit the country.

hmm accmodation I did get through to one place today .. the hilton hotel (it is priey) but im sure they would have plenty of rooms, but i will also try the europa and holiday inn to morrow as well as the usual event halls

Just tell me where to go. :P

As for accomodation, I'm kinda thinking Youth Hostel. These places tend to have a large(-ish) public area, and what amounts to a barracks with bunk beds for the night.

Over in Belgium there's a ton of these things. You need to sign up to some bullshit organisation for a small, age-dependant fee (under 16 = 3 euro. Under 26 = 9 euro. Over 26 = 15 euro) and then you can sleep at any of those places starting at 15 euros a night (that's beds and sanitation. No meals).

Another idea might be some camping ground, but I despise campings, so please, if you're investigating this route, make sure there's a hotel sort-of nearby.

If it's within driving distance of The Netherlands, I'd be happy to chauffeur.

Suggestions so far in this and the other thread:

Somewhere in Belgium (Brussels?)

London, England

Nottingham, England

Sheffield, England

Paris, France

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Dundee, Scotland

I think the capitals are the most sensible solutions since they will be the most interesting for people coming from other countries. I mean Sheffield and Nottingham might be alright if it was just people from the UK attending since they can just stay for a day then go home, but people from abroad will probably want to stay for a while to make the trip worth it and I doubt Sheffield is going to be high on any visitor to the UK's places to visit.

When I went to SANS in London I stayed at a realy cheap hostel, about 6 quid a night.

SANS held the event at the the University of Westminster. The location was good, it has a tube stop just outside and is geared up for students so penny pinching hackers should fit in fine.

I love the idea of hostels, they are uber cheap and very accommodating to young people and you can come in drunk late in the evening and not have any problems.

Hostels in London, would probably be the best sort of place to stay, but we would still need a venue.

I was staying in there while doing the SANS wireless security course. Obviously I didn't use any of the hacking techniques taught to us but I'm sure if I had I would have been able to access a number of local APs without any problems :-)

From what I remember they only had sit down access, no wifi. They do have an outdoor spa though!

Anyway, you get the access at the meeting and by the time you get back from the pub you don't need access at the hostel!

A hostel would be a good idea, cheap, and great for groups. We could essentially do our own thing as long as we weren't overrun by other people in there, but we'd prob largely fill it. We might even be able to get some drinks in and not need to go to a pub, but that all depends where we do it specifically. We are getting some good ideas here though, go us :D

As for internet access, common I'm sure we can be creative. We only need to pay once, plenty of people can bring some ap's or a switch or 2 lol. and we dont need some fat pipe anyway just a casual thing. To be honest, fixing that kind of thing up is half the fun.

Lol yeah, I wasn't really whining about the cost of internet access, it was a joke ;)

I'm up for pretty much anything... being able to drink in the hostel would be nice, heh, we could try the "omg let's try to smuggle booze in so the teacher won't notice >_> <_<" approach :D

We'll probably be living on burgers and kebabs (or something a little more healthy for some of us) so food isn't gonna be a problem.

Crap! I was jsut in Itally and England, bad timing on my part i guess. I'd be down for almost anywhere......but i need to know in advance so i can take the days offa work, adn get a cheaper flight....Americans going we could probubbly get a group rate if <20 people.

im all for sheffield... but could travel if needbe, and more to the point, im old enough to drink... and then some

Sheffield is the closest to me of all the suggestions, but do you honestly think people from abroad would want to go there? I doubt you'd be suggesting it if you didn't live in Sheffield. Especially if people are flying in from the US I think London is the best suggestion if it's in the UK, I mean do you think people would rather visit Sheffield:

800px-Sheffield_Nov_2005_002.jpg

750px-Sheffield_wide_from_Meersbrook_Par

or London:

London_night.jpg

800px-LondonThames.jpg

I mean I don't have anything against Sheffield, but London is blatantly a much more interesting, cosmopolitan place.

lol slightly biased images there, but I do agree... I think we've all gotta be prepared to travel, London sounds good to me...

All in favour say aye! All those against, say why not and state your reasoning! :)