I want reactions to my new web service

omega_ion

Hey, I just want to shamelessly plug a beta version of a new web service which I just launched a few minutes ago named Pinkawish. The site lets you make wish lists and lets your friends see what you want. Currently, it main attractions are the powerful integrated item searching tool, the user's control of who can see what items on which wish lists, and the automatic price detection system.

That's it. I would be much obliged to anyone who gave feedback. The URL is http://pinkawish.com and the blog is http://blog.pinkawish.com

Instant reaction: I hate it

Reason for reaction: Wish lists are actually want lists. The whole 'wishlist' idea seems very anti-friendly to me.

Good luck with it any way :D

haha, thanks. To those who aren't morally opposed to the idea of wishlsits, what do you think in terms of functionality?

Didn't fiddle too much with it, but is there a way to search by email addresses of people?

Shouldn't something called pinkawish be more.... pink? :)

To be honest I don't really "get it", what need are you satisfying with the site? Don't let my negativity be too much of a downer though since I've failed to see the point in several sites that have become quite successful.

And from a usability standpoint I think you should separate out the menu from the logo. I you feel that it needs to be like that you could at least do it in a better way than a table like that, maybe go old school with an image-map.

I was looking around a bit, and it seems a bit unintuitively to me. Took me a while to notice that the joining and stuff is done through the bubbles in the logo.

The list of items other added to their wishlist is too large. Either do 2 lists next to eachother, or a smaller font and less items. I also don't see the significance of saying how many items were purchased at what cost. It's a WISH list. Wether you got your wish or not is irrelevant.

And finally, the name. YUCK! Sorry, but "pinkawish"? What the hell is that?

You need a better captcha. If you think a computer can't figure out which number is after the last occurance of '<span style="display: inherit">' before the + and the number after the last occurance of it after the + and then add them together, then... well, it can. I don't really like the design either.

I was looking around a bit, and it seems a bit unintuitively to me. Took me a while to notice that the joining and stuff is done through the bubbles in the logo.

The list of items other added to their wishlist is too large. Either do 2 lists next to eachother, or a smaller font and less items. I also don't see the significance of saying how many items were purchased at what cost. It's a WISH list. Wether you got your wish or not is irrelevant.

And finally, the name. YUCK! Sorry, but "pinkawish"? What the hell is that?

ha, well the name of the site is actually a play on my last name Pinkowish, people who know me think its an awesome idea, everyone else, clueless.

The front page is designed to give users an idea of what other people are buying, in case they are unsure what they want. Basically an it should be an 'inspiration'.

I guess I could shrink down what other people bought and maybe put it into two columns.

The bubbles are a main design feature of the site, but I don't want to get rid of them. I might add hints to let the user know that they should/can click on the bubble to accomplish things. I should also have a text based version of the bubbles somewhere else on the site I suppose too for greater accessibility.

Thank you.

Okay, I've been making some changes. One of my friends pointed out a CSRF and XSS vulnerability which I was able to fix fast enough.

It'd be valuable to me if people could use the service and try adding items to wish lists and stuff, but I understand people really don't want to.

Better captcha (like image based captcha) should be coming this week.

if you do get critisism (like i did when i set up my site), just say, Google's creators were mocked

Thing in saying that is Google was started when most people in developed countries didn't know the Internet existed, let alone have a computer. Any start up web company now barely stands a chance as any possible service that can be provided is already been provided and is completely saturated (the result of the dot com boom).

Let's try and exemplify this ^^

Ok, this forum (like many other forums) is about geek-ness. Pretty much any thing and every thing to do with technology can and will happen here. There are (at least) 1000 other forums that offer the exact same content (for lack of a better word). This forums twist? It's part of a vidcast. This forum has a couple of faces and people to put to the forum. In this context the video 'portion' almost seems like and advertisement for the forum, that is far from correct of course.

In any case, my point is that to have a successful web company in the completely company saturated Internet that we have, you need a twist.

So, with this (already disliked by me) wishlist web site you could ... well... I can't think of any thing... so good luck is all I can say.

DRAGONSDEN.jpg

What's to stop me simply e-mailing the things I would like to the people I want to know about it?

Sorry if I killed your dreams, but from a (dragronlly) business perspective it's a none starter. Sorry :oops:

Any one care to disagree? :P

First off the design, There is nothing that grabs me, its all pastels, and looks really boring. You need to kick up the saturation on some of the colors. Which brings me to the logo. The specular highlights on it makes the text not readable. Its also way too big, and it creates a ton of useless whitespace, maybe if you put it on the left and had the rest of the content flow around it or something. And as others have pointed out, its not clear that those bubbles are actually buttons, you should also make them change color when you hover your mouse over them.

And the last thing for the love of Pete (who ever he is) let me wish for something thats on the front page. Kinda like digg.