Pandora Hack

digip

I don't use the Pandora Timeshifting, so I thought I would post it here with a demonstration video on saving mp3s from Pandora.com

Ok. So I see a lot of people are having issues with Pandora Timeshifting. Now, I havent been able to ever get it to work using the files posted in the Pandora thread, but there is a less convenient way to do these rips that will work every time.

Using Wireshark, you can filter out each mp3 and save the streams (in raw format) to soemfile.mp3

Its a bit tricky with Pandora to figure out what song your saving because they don't have the song names or .mp3 extention in the tcp data stream, so you will have to save it and play it back before renaming it, otherwise you won't know which file it is.

Here is how it works. I use the url https://www.pandora.com:443/ as this seems to give me less issues than the main site for some reason. Open wireshark and start capturing packets. Then open

https://www.pandora.com

and start your band or song search. Go back to wireshark and click CTRL+F to bring up the packet search box. Use the string lame as the searh filter and check off STRING and BYTES as the options. Click ok. This will put you on the first packet with LAME in the data stream. (Lame is the encoding of the mp3 file) Right click it and choose FOLLOW TCP/IP STREAM. This will filter out the first song. Check RAW and then save as somefile.mp3

Now, click close, and you will see your filtered stream. Goto the bottom and then hit CLEAR. This puts you on the last packet of the first mp3. Now, click the next packet and repeat the process. Continue this until there are no more mp3s. (NOTE: be sure your search doesn't repeat from the beginning and your saving files you already have! When you reach the bottom, Wireshark will search from the top again, so pay attention.)

I suggest you capture directly to the hard drive in a pcap file and then filter out the songs later, as this can eat up a lot of resources if you are trying to do it on the fly, and you may risk crashing wireshark or your pc.

If that was too difficult to follow, then watch this video demonstration of a Pandora Rip with Wireshark. This video is just for this the HAK5 Forums, so please, no DiGG or blog posts on other sites about this. I am only posting it here for EDUCATIONAL purposes only, and take no resonsibolity in your use of this information!

Flash video: http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/Lame%20Pandora/index.html

I just saw this exact post in Pandora Hacks...

Now, normally I'd have deleted it as soon as I saw it... it's a duplicate post and it's not in the right place... BUT it does demonstrate a technique that might be useful for other applications so I'm gonna leave it for the other mods to kill. :)

I just saw this exact post in Pandora Hacks...

Now, normally I'd have deleted it as soon as I saw it... it's a duplicate post and it's not in the right place... BUT it does demonstrate a technique that might be useful for other applications so I'm gonna leave it for the other mods to kill. :)

I edited the other post and pointed it here. You can delete the one I posted under the Pandora thread, as I realized once it was posted, it really was in the wrong place. There should be an option to delete our own threads in such a case, not just be able to edit them. Sorry for any confusion.

It sorta worked... it's real kludge...

I was able to get one song lol...

You have to make sure your at the end of the packet list for each song and then search for the next song in the packet list. Watch the video again if you rhaving problems. I have been able to capture dozens of songs at a time, but the hard part is telling what song is which when you go to save them.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say that this also works on LaLa.com. If anyone does not know, lala.com streams full albums similar to Pandora, but with freedom to roam the site and any albums on the site with no limits to listen(as far as I could tell). Your not forced to listen to "similar" artists, so you can choose one artist and hear whatever they have on the site for that artist.

Using "lame" as the search string in Wireshark, you can filter out each song and then save them to disk just like my Pandora hack listed above. Unlike the Pandora hack, each song shows up in Wireshark, AFTER it starts playing, as where in Pandora, it starts to download them all while the first song is playing. This makes it a little easier to filter out songs, plus, LaLa gives the name, album and song title in the lame encoded files, so you will know what to name them as.

Searching for .mp3 will return nothing since they store the files in the flash player as raw mp3 data with no .mp3 file extension. The video tutorial should be back online soon. My host sux and I lost a lot of files when they moved it to a new server. The site has not been right since and I probably won't renew with them but still need to transfer to another host first...

• 2 years later...

The Lala.com hack is a simple one

You need to start your capture to catch/filter this (could be any number, all i've found below):

tcp.stream eq 4

or

tcp.stream eq 6

The stream you want to reassemble is (info column)

[TCP segment of a reassembled PDU]

You must wait until the song finishes to reassemble. After the song is finished right click on the packet and click follow tcp stream, make sure it's raw. Save as an mp3.