Full time linux users?

Teengeek

Just wondering if there any here I use linux about 60% now. I would use it all the time if i could install Linux on my school issued piece of crap and by piece of crud I mean LAMEST BOX EVER THOUGHT OF BY MAN!!!!

im a full time server linux user does that count? i wouldnt be able to use my desktop if it wasnt windows, if all programs were compatible then i would happly but as the main market share is windows, i go with the majority.

im a full time server linux user does that count? i wouldnt be able to use my desktop if it wasnt windows, if all programs were compatible then i would happly but as the main market share is windows, i go with the majority.

yea that counts bu you might be interested in this http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Application_Crossover_Chart very good list but hardly complete

Guest TehHacks
I'm a full time Windows user, Linux is icky!

All those nice apps that don't have decent alternatives on Linux :)

Just because you a Windows developer :p

But i do get your point, i use Linux say 85% of the time now, but Windows does still have a few apps/games that just haven't been matched yet on Linux (not to say that they couldn't be)

James

I'm a full time linux user, windows is icky!
What linux program lets you use Yahoo, Aim, ICQ and MSN Messenger on linux? This is not arant, but a serious question. I know there is Gaim for doign Aim on linux, and I know you can use Yahoo through the website, but what about ICQ and MSN Messenger?

Gaim will cover it all.

"Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, and Zephyr networks."

Check out the website.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/about.php

daedalus

Until two weeks ago, I was almost a full time linux user and I received my macbook. So now, i'm playing a lot with macosX :P

So now, I'm 50 % under linux (work), let's say 10% windows (Damn users and proprietary based softwares :evil: ) and 40% on MacOSX...the rest of the day at home.

Until two weeks ago, I was almost a full time linux user and I received my macbook. So now, i'm playing a lot with macosX :P

So now, I'm 50 % under linux (work), let's say 10% windows (Damn users and proprietary based softwares :evil: ) and 40% on MacOSX...the rest of the day at home.

you mac problems are easily fixed just put linux on the mac :) lol

It's all Linux here. I've got a VMWare licence from work for those rare occasions where I need to do something that involves windows (used to be for Visual Source Safe. Now it's only for occasionally testing some scripts).I think I kept the Windows image on my work laptop, but I can't remember the last time I booted into it.

I'm a full time linux user, windows is icky!
What linux program lets you use Yahoo, Aim, ICQ and MSN Messenger on linux? This is not arant, but a serious question. I know there is Gaim for doign Aim on linux, and I know you can use Yahoo through the website, but what about ICQ and MSN Messenger?

as other have mentioned Gaim, does it perfectly, to the point of i use gaim on windows now, it manages them all really well, and is rather stable, though little not as simple to use for beginers ,uch like anythink built for linux.

Also for MSN, and ICQ there are actauly a few cross-overs, some pretty much mimicing down the the 't' the original App.

I'm a full time Windows user, Linux is icky!

All those nice apps that don't have decent alternatives on Linux :)

every development app is written for *nix first, then ported to windows, you should know that :-/

edit: yep, i'm 100% linux. might switch to Gentoo/FreeBSD project soon, but meh. still forced to use windows on school though :(

Having said read all this, I still think Windows is a good operating system. It just depends on what you want to do. Which is why I run Windows, Linux and BSD. There just different tools.

I've been Linux only since about 2003. Started way back on Mandrake 7.x ... around mid to late kernel 2.4. Progressed through Fedora and then finally landed on Gentoo, where I will be staying for a long time unless other distros miraculously come up with a software manager as powerful as portage.

If it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux*.

* Does not apply to some Lexmark printers, some ATI graphics cards, and some Direct X games.

I've been Linux only since about 2003. Started way back on Mandrake 7.x ... around mid to late kernel 2.4. Progressed through Fedora and then finally landed on Gentoo, where I will be staying for a long time unless other distros miraculously come up with a software manager as powerful as portage.

If it can be done in Windows, it can be done in Linux*.

* Does not apply to some Lexmark printers, some ATI graphics cards, and some Direct X games.

you forgot broadcom 802.11 :) lol

I am a former fulltime linux user. I've used it two years fulltime on the desktop (about 2001-2003). After that real life necessitated me to run windows again on the desktop (OOo incompatibilities in school office documents, AutoCAD use). In that period I delegated linux to the server because I hate to dual boot. Up till november my linux server ran very nicely, but after I moved in november, the hardware was dead. Laziness has prevented me from building a new one up to now, but I will build it up again soon (hardware is in house), because I need a filevault again.

Currently I use some 65% win2k3 (work, logged in terminal session), 5% winxp (workstation OS work, used to vnc to troubling PC's) and home OS for the few times I play games, 30% OSX (sweet sweet laptop), but I long to lay my hands on linux again, linux is sweet :D

you mac problems are easily fixed just put linux on the mac :) lol

I couldn't resist. I'm installing a gentoo right now on it in dual boot. :lol: