Brothers Computer is fucked

Deags

His HDD's wont read any faster than 4MB/s last time i formatted and it got rid of the problem but it has come back again. Do you know what is causing this?

Notes:

This happens on the two of his hdd's. If he boots into BartPE it reads at full speed.

Try FixMbr or FixBoot when in recovery console.

You have to install recovery console, it's not on by default.

Or you can download a known bootcd with a lot of apps, illegal though, starts with an H... ends in iren...

Or you can download a known bootcd with a lot of apps, illegal though, starts with an H... ends in iren...

Whats so illegal about it... I already have copies BTW.

yeah, why is it illegal?

cos a lot of tools are actually pay for (w4r3z) and shareware ...

MOST of the tools are pay for like Ghost, Partition Magic, NTFS4DOS Pro, etc, etc...

BUT, it's the most useful cd I have in my collection, version 8.9.

And, if your running other apps that you never paid for and you have no ethical qualms about it... then go ahead.

There's a couple of HD utilities on it that you could run.

Having had something similar happen to me I would recommend looking at your IDE ATA etc. controllers in the device manager. In the advanced settings tab you can see what mode they are operating in, if they are in PIO mode that's the reason for the slowdown.

PIO is a safe mode that uses the processor instead of the specialized hardware to control the disk, Windows automatically changes to this mode when it encounters a specific number of errors while accessing the disk. There is no simple way of resetting it except the somewhat scary method of deleting the controller devices from the device manager, rebooting and hoping that they are added back without problems.

thanks for setting me on the right track... the drive was running in PIO mode(even tho it wasn't selected) a little reg tweak and it is all good.

Would make a nasty USB hack as well..

:wink: