• I love my mac (alot!)

This is my pride and joy:

Apple Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz

16GB ECC SDRAM (8x2GB)

2 x 500GB SATA harddrive’s

Fibre Channel PCIe Card

DIGIDESIGN Pro Tools HD 1 Accel Core

NVIDIA QuadroFX 4500 512MB GDDR

AJA KONA 3 Ultimate PCIe HD-SDI (4:4:4 1080)

2 x Apple 30 inch HD Cinema Display

(I will take a photo of it when I get some batteries for my camera.)

It cost me a lot and it’s only used for video editing and audio work. I just think it will be a let down if I upgrade and have to have a Intel based computer.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my pride and joy:

Apple Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz

16GB ECC SDRAM (8x2GB)

2 x 500GB SATA harddrive’s

Fibre Channel PCIe Card

DIGIDESIGN Pro Tools HD 1 Accel Core

NVIDIA QuadroFX 4500 512MB GDDR

AJA KONA 3 Ultimate PCIe HD-SDI (4:4:4 1080)

2 x Apple 30 inch HD Cinema Display

(I will take a photo of it when I get some batteries for my camera.)

It cost me a lot and it’s only used for video editing and audio work. I just think it will be a let down if I upgrade and have to have a Intel based computer, I may not even bother upgrading.

you actallly own that :| omfg i want it ....

It has pride of place in my living room and I love the thing but I want one with two quad core AMD’s not two shitty Xeons.

The thing that’s wrong with them is that OSX need to be updated and they need to get AMD’s in them instead of a shitty Intel.

It has pride of place in my living room and I love the thing but I want one with two quad core AMD’s not two shitty Xeons.

The thing that’s wrong with them is that OSX need to be updated and they need to get AMD’s in them instead of a shitty Intel.

so true mmm amd

That has to be one hell of a system. Hopefully in 4 years time I will have that sort of cash to drop on a computer.

I have to say though if I was going to buy a stupiding powerful system I would get one of the nice 4U Tyan Servers.

The one that comes to mind is the one with 8 Socket 940 all dual-core capable, so put in the top dual-core opterons. Then it also takes 128GB of DDR400 RAM so also add that in. A PCI-e Quadro Card for GFX and a 1TB SCSI Raid Array in 15000rpm drives.

Yes you would need it in another room to stop yourself from going death but by god it would be fast.

My main PC:

2 X AMD Opteron 280 - Dual Core

MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLi PCI-E

8GB PC-3200 ECC Module Ram

4 X 150 GB SATA150 Western Digital Raptor

Plextor PX-760 DVD+/-RW

Pelt cooled

2X 512MB XFX 7900GTX Extreme (was 2XNVIDIA Quadro FX 4400 PCI-X)

Turbo-Cool 1KW PSU

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

I put it together myself, now if Mac made the same or better I would buy it.

That has to be one hell of a system. Hopefully in 4 years time I will have that sort of cash to drop on a computer.

I have to say though if I was going to buy a stupiding powerful system I would get one of the nice 4U Tyan Servers.

The one that comes to mind is the one with 8 Socket 940 all dual-core capable, so put in the top dual-core opterons. Then it also takes 128GB of DDR400 RAM so also add that in. A PCI-e Quadro Card for GFX and a 1TB SCSI Raid Array in 15000rpm drives.

Yes you would need it in another room to stop yourself from going death but by god it would be fast.

But that would be cool.

My main PC:

2 X AMD Opteron 280 - Dual Core

MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLi PCI-E

8GB PC-3200 ECC Module Ram

4 X 150 GB SATA150 Western Digital Raptor

Plextor PX-760 DVD+/-RW

Pelt cooled

2X 512MB XFX 7900GTX Extreme (was 2XNVIDIA Quadro FX 4400 PCI-X)

Turbo-Cool 1KW PSU

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

I put it together myself, now if Mac made the same or better I would buy it.

jesus dude.. reading that brought tears to my eye.. beautiful.. absolutely beautiful.

I've had enough of these discussions... I just can't be bothered saying too much about this shit anymore.

But I will say this: Macs are very overpriced. Windows isn't great but it's good enough for me. All I really do is play games and use Photoshop(no I didn't buy it) most of the time anyway(they should really add a Right-Click function to use the background colour or something for the brushes on the Windows version of Photoshop... but NO they have to design it to be all Mac-ish).

Plus you can upgrade PC's piece by piece and add cool lights and new cases and stuff.

It's actually been quite some time since Windows has crashed on me too(don't get me wrong. I'm not a Windows fanboy).

And I've had a few bad experiences with Macs in the past... like just recently when I got 171 source photos for textures and modeling references for a game. The Mac just decided "Hey! I'm gonna corrupt half of these so that they only work on Mac.". And they don't actually delete files off pen-drives. They just move them into an invisible folder called ".Trashes". And then they make all these copies of the files that are also invisible(with "._" at the start of the file name). And I had one crash on me when I pressed Command + Z in flash(all I'd done was draw a small line that I wanted to undo)... I didn't have any other programs running either.

I came close to just deleting this thread since it seemed like utter flamebait.

Look, if your going to post a poll, at least make it nonbias. Your poll looks like "Have you told your father your gay yet?"

After skipping around the thread it looks like there is some real discussion going on so I leave it, but WTF guys, can we like, not get into these pathetic debates that have been hashed out a million times over in grade school?

Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit BOFH, but seriously, this poll sucks.

BTW: I like Mac, Windows, and Linux. They all have great software. What I want is an OS that runs everything, is secure, and gets out of the way so I can do what I really want to do. Use applications to get stuff done. period.

As someone else on a different forum once said: My Sega never crashed!

And what does FTW stand for? "For The Win" or something according to a few googles, but it looks a little... quirky.

i would be lost without ctrl+k define: <word>

actually google has become my fav. spell checker too... I really should get a firefox extension for that though. then again i hear macs have spell check for every text field.... can't wait for those new imacs. sorry, way OT