ynt4xe770r

Who thinks macs are crap.  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yep there crap.
    • Im gay because i use a mac.
    • Im currently setting a mac on fire.
    • I love my mac (alot!)

OSX is base on the OpenDarwin CVS repository and OpenDarwin is crap.

I own a few Macs including a Mac Book Pro and since there change over to Intel very little makes them stand out, beside the looks and when other company start producing computers with the same spec but at a quarter of the price, the only thing they will have left is some good looking machines which most people can’t afford.

I will give you this OSX is better then Windows as a standard day to day OS (that’s not saying much) for watching movie, creating website and generally pissing around and the performance is good when running Windows using Boot camp but you are still better of using Windows for gaming and booting in to Linux for every thing else on a PC, the performance will be better (use an AMD) and so will the battery life if your running a laptop and you will save yourself a lot of money.

If you have the money and you like the look of a Mac there’s no real reason not to buy one as you don’t have to use there OS and Gentoo runs nicely on the new Macs.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a shame about Intel, i've always been a fan but its harder and harder to justify that now. AMD products, in my expirence, while damn fast are not as stable as Intel based systems when your doing long winded complex multitasking. Not sure what it is, but the AMD systems will fly doing one thing, yet struggle with lots of stuff being run at once. Seen this repeated with lots of systems so its not just my personal stuff. Anybody know why?

Its a shame about Intel, i've always been a fan but its harder and harder to justify that now. AMD products, in my expirence, while damn fast are not as stable as Intel based systems when your doing long winded complex multitasking. Not sure what it is, but the AMD systems will fly doing one thing, yet struggle with lots of stuff being run at once. Seen this repeated with lots of systems so its not just my personal stuff. Anybody know why?

I would have to disagree with you there, in the past there has been some issues, which have largely been blown out of proposition, mainly by Intel spin doctors trying to discredit AMD in the server market by saying AMD had stability problems, but now they are just as stable as any Intel product doing any task or tasks.

That’s why HP now put AMD’s in a bulk of there products, both desktop and servers and there servers are well known for there stability and quality.

Its not something i've heard of else where to be honest, and i have to mention that I've not been using the latest gen of AMD gear. But quite a few AMD/Nforce systems can't alt-tab whilst playing music without skipping, that I have seen. Not done any research on this, its purely what i've noticed.

I'm an AMD guy ever since the K6-2 (with 3DNow! Technology... ;))

I'm currently running an AthlonXP and have been through a few Athlons, a K6/K6-2 or two and I've been very happy with the speed and stability... the Intels I have owned however have not been so productive... from 486s to PII/PIIIs, I gave up on them... granted, I haven't tried a P4 yet but I made my choice - AMD all the way!

As for the Mac issue, I've used a few and owned a few (mostly older generation models) but I must say that I've been happy with their perfomance too... the operating systems on the whole are generally stable, the mouse having one button is actually ok when you're used to it... Windows spoilt us ;)

But I must also stand up for Macs here... I'm mainly a PC guy but they've taken quite a bashing from Intel, Microsoft and the whole Wintel crowd... shame really, they don't deserve that reputation!

I'm an AMD guy ever since the K6-2 (with 3DNow! Technology... ;))

I had one of those, it was great for games, but sucked balls for Lightwave in NT4.

However, unless Intel can pull a very shinney rabbit out of there silicon hat, my next machine will be an AMD. Hopefully an operton system.

I think Vako that much be your setup then, I've never had that problem and have built over 30 different Athlon 64 machines and configured hundreds literally and never come across a problem with skipping music with alt-tabbing or anything else like that.

Probally, not my systems (I went with an Intel P4 last system build, HT was actually quite good). I may have made it sound like its a problem with all AMD boxes, but it isn't. I've just noticed the same issue with 4 different AMD boxes, and wondered why I hadn't seen it on Intel systems running the same software.