Lock Down students login computer

SomeoneE1se

I'm creating a student administration program in PHP

and I don't trust any students...

so here's my question How would you lock down a system to only startup a system with a web browser that can only visit one website/page? I don't want them to be able to see anything but the webpage/site if I have to type in a command at startup that's fine.

You could create a script that would send a pulse through the mouse if they opened up more than one window and it would taze them. That's a more.... violent way.

Or make it more exciting. A window opens up in the computer and a tesla coil comes out and sends a few amps through them. That will teach the kids :D

You could create a script that would send a pulse through the mouse if they opened up more than one window and it would taze them. That's a more.... violent way.

that could be a nice mod project for a usb mouse. 5 Vdc could have a nice bite ;)

I'm creating a student administration program in PHP

and I don't trust any students...

so here's my question How would you lock down a system to only startup a system with a web browser that can only visit one website/page? I don't want them to be able to see anything but the webpage/site if I have to type in a command at startup that's fine.

You can set teh windows shell to be any program you want, FF, or IE, or word or whatever. http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/850/

Content filter and allow only that particular website.

try squidguard http://www.squidguard.org/ or dansguardian http://dansguardian.org/

hope that helps,

Manuel

Well, to limit your users to one page, you could use some sort of proxy, but instead of pulling from a cache it sends your home page.

a tesla coil comes out and sends a few amps through them.

...I thought Tesla coils were High voltage, high freq, low amps. I don't really have much knowledge in electronics, but a friend explained to me that, due to the high frequency, the electricity would pass over your body, not through it.

Well, to limit your users to one page, you could use some sort of proxy, but instead of pulling from a cache it sends your home page.
a tesla coil comes out and sends a few amps through them.

...I thought Tesla coils were High voltage, high freq, low amps. I don't really have much knowledge in electronics, but a friend explained to me that, due to the high frequency, the electricity would pass over your body, not through it.

I think tt's a myth that the electricity will only flow over a human body and not through it (although there is some physics behind it, I think it's misintepreted).

On that note, since it'll only be used to view that one site, why is it even able to access the internet (which you must then lock down)?

Put it on a subnet with not access to the outside world. Put the webserver on a machine in that subnet which hosts that one site, or code a pass-through proxy that will only access that one site. Add a DNS server to that subnet which will return that web or proxy server's IP address to all unresolved queries.

Yes, it's true. Tesla coils work on extreme amounts of voltage. But, if you up the watts by adding some amps to those extreme amounts of voltage it would be more.... Well.... shocking :shock: